Smokers and Ovens made of Brick and Stone
SheffSmoker
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Junk Fettler
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team "Too drunk to care"

Re: Brick Offset & Vertical Smoker with Outdoor Kitchen

Post by SheffSmoker » January 12th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Is it worth spinning the brass nut off the connector end so see if there's a lip or collet that should be there?

I know some older ones had a long tail like this to take it right up to the rollers. Mine has a tube from the roller exit to the torch connector inside so I don't have any protruding liner. Not seen this on a newer Euro torch though.

BigPete
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by BigPete » January 12th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Just done it and taken a few photos.
20210112_191621.jpg
20210112_191555.jpg
20210112_191538.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigPete
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by BigPete » January 13th, 2021, 1:54 pm

Just taken it all apart and the wire liner goes all the way to the tip of the torch. Still waiting clarification from the seller but I think there no option but to trim it back to the brass nut.

SheffSmoker
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by SheffSmoker » January 13th, 2021, 3:46 pm

I've a full reel of wire on mine at the mo Pete, but I'll try and slide mine off tomorrow if I get chance and show you what mine looks like under the nut.

Your roller setup is identical to mine, they probably all come out of the same factory. :)

BigPete
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by BigPete » January 14th, 2021, 3:44 am

@SheffSmoker dont worry about it thanks, the seller has confirmed I need to trim it back if its too long. I'll do it later and hopefully should be good to go!

I dont want my ears burning when a whole reel start to unravel :D

BigPete
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by BigPete » January 14th, 2021, 1:39 pm

So it turns out the Mig Pulse function shows on the display panel as AlMg or AlMg and has a maximum current settings of about 90A... This makes me think the pulse setting is more for Aluminium rather than Steel? Also I'd ordered gas based on pulse spray @ 7%... Do you think I can still use that rather than the normal 25%/75%?

All the equipment arrived today bit it turns out my gas hose has a 3/4 BSP HL thread where as the regulator has a 3/4 BSP RH thread.... Argh so close to being able to get started!

dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Lucky and grateful
BBQ Comp Team Name: Only competing with myself

Post by dacolson » January 14th, 2021, 8:39 pm

BigPete wrote:So it turns out the Mig Pulse function shows on the display panel as AlMg or AlMg and has a maximum current settings of about 90A... This makes me think the pulse setting is more for Aluminium rather than Steel? Also I'd ordered gas based on pulse spray @ 7%... Do you think I can still use that rather than the normal 25%/75%?

All the equipment arrived today bit it turns out my gas hose has a 3/4 BSP HL thread where as the regulator has a 3/4 BSP RH thread.... Argh so close to being able to get started!
Is the mix 93% argon, 5% CO2, 2% O2? If so, yes. Let ‘er rip. Should work similar to the 75/25 mix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave C - QueNorth Smokers
Farmington, MN

BigPete
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by BigPete » January 15th, 2021, 2:37 am

dacolson wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 8:39 pm
BigPete wrote:So it turns out the Mig Pulse function shows on the display panel as AlMg or AlMg and has a maximum current settings of about 90A... This makes me think the pulse setting is more for Aluminium rather than Steel? Also I'd ordered gas based on pulse spray @ 7%... Do you think I can still use that rather than the normal 25%/75%?

Is the mix 93% argon, 5% CO2, 2% O2? If so, yes. Let ‘er rip. Should work similar to the 75/25 mix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Its sold as 7%Co2 / 93% Argon with no mention of O2

SheffSmoker
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by SheffSmoker » January 15th, 2021, 6:41 am

Not seen that mix here Pete, normally Argoshield light has the 2% O2 in it.

Still won't matter, will work fine. Now the hard work starts, tuning current, wire feed and gas flow rate :)

BigPete
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by BigPete » January 15th, 2021, 8:07 am

SheffSmoker wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 6:41 am
Not seen that mix here Pete, normally Argoshield light has the 2% O2 in it.

Still won't matter, will work fine. Now the hard work starts, tuning current, wire feed and gas flow rate :)
Just had a quick test on my lunch, running around 1.0mm wire at 75A on the "Gas" setting, 10l/min, had a nice frying bacon sound too. (straight bead on a bit of 6mm thick angle iron)

Tried it at 100A but started to create quite a bit of spatter.

Will take a pic later to see what you guys think and advise.

BigPete
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by BigPete » January 15th, 2021, 11:19 am

The weld on the right was run around 120A and 10l/min and trying to do a circular motion (right to left) Really struggling when working out of position, just not in the habit of moving the work piece all the time so it's level.

Weirdly I'm also struggling to see where I'm going once the mask dims so have been wandering off on longer welds.
20210115_161541.jpg
20210115_161513.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Country boy!

Post by Cole Leffert » January 15th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Those don't look bad at all!! Good job!!

Are you pushing or pulling when you are welding?

BigPete
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by BigPete » January 15th, 2021, 3:08 pm

Thanks considering I've never done Mig welding before I was pretty happy. I think I might need to up the gas a little to avoid the brown oxidation either side the of the bead.

I tried both but push seemed to be easier for me.

dacolson
Expert
Expert

Post by dacolson » January 15th, 2021, 7:14 pm

BigPete wrote:Thanks considering I've never done Mig welding before I was pretty happy. I think I might need to up the gas a little to avoid the brown oxidation either side the of the bead.

The brown is silica. It’s fine. From your filler wire. Brushes off with a wire brush. Gets worse if you weld over mill scale. Gas looks fine based on relatively low spatter and no visible porosity. Toes are wetted in well. Looks like you’re on your way!
On the spatter, wire angle and stick out matter. The straighter you are and the closer your nozzle/shorter your stick out is, the less spatter.
You can adjust the auto darkening on your helmet a bit to help you see. Seems like I run mine around 10 or 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmington, MN

BigPete
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by BigPete » January 20th, 2021, 3:12 am

dacolson wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 7:14 pm
BigPete wrote:Thanks considering I've never done Mig welding before I was pretty happy. I think I might need to up the gas a little to avoid the brown oxidation either side the of the bead.

The brown is silica. It’s fine. From your filler wire. Brushes off with a wire brush. Gets worse if you weld over mill scale. Gas looks fine based on relatively low spatter and no visible porosity. Toes are wetted in well. Looks like you’re on your way!
On the spatter, wire angle and stick out matter. The straighter you are and the closer your nozzle/shorter your stick out is, the less spatter.
You can adjust the auto darkening on your helmet a bit to help you see. Seems like I run mine around 10 or 11.

Nice one thanks will check the setting, I also just noticed my lens is very scratched so will replace it as I've heard that once you strike the arc it can become a blur with a scratched lens.

Guys, Scotland is obviously a cold wet country so i've been trying to keep all of my steel dry as not to rust. When it comes to paint I had planned to paint the outside of BBQ, Smoker Door, FB door etc with high temp paint - To try and protect from the elements.

Would you paint any of the 'internals'? (obviously nothing that food would sit on) i.e.

Inside of FB/Smoker Door
Vertical Smoker rails that hold the wire racks etc?

Or just leave all 'hot' inside surfaces un-painted and give a good season with oil & heat?

If the latter because i'm working/welding outside it will get to a point where moving in the welded up steel will be a challenge on my own due to weight etc. If I got a coat of paint on the outside and left the inside unprotected/seasoned I might have to remove rust before seasoning? (any ideas suggestions).

On a side note I cant decide on what to use for back splash or below worktop tiles - I like split face slate but the weather here means they are no good for outside. :(

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » January 20th, 2021, 4:27 am

Seasoning the inside is all that's needed. If you want some protection before you're ready to fire it up just wipe or spray with oil to protect.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

BigPete
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by BigPete » January 22nd, 2021, 3:19 am

Pete Mazz wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 4:27 am
Seasoning the inside is all that's needed. If you want some protection before you're ready to fire it up just wipe or spray with oil to protect.
Nice one thanks Pete, that'll keep things simpler :)

BigPete
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by BigPete » January 23rd, 2021, 11:00 am

It's been a productive few days.

The weather has been really poor here the last week so built and filled a small wood store.
20210123_155642.jpg
Today I managed to get on with the steel work. TIL even 6mm steel will twist when welding the 12mm frame on :(
20210123_155618.jpg

dacolson
Expert
Expert

Post by dacolson » January 23rd, 2021, 5:08 pm

Thin stuff is super sensitive. Stitching helps. An inch at a time and move around to different locations to let the steel cool.

Farmington, MN

BigPete
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by BigPete » January 24th, 2021, 11:49 am

dacolson wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 5:08 pm
Thin stuff is super sensitive. Stitching helps. An inch at a time and move around to different locations to let the steel cool.

Thanks will try that on the FB door, any suggestions on how to get it back in?

Clamp closed to the frame then get a gas torch at it?

dacolson
Expert
Expert

Post by dacolson » January 24th, 2021, 6:52 pm

I assume you are talking about the bottom left corner of your door? Tinspark does a lot of sheet metal work. Maybe he’ll reply with some thoughts.

Farmington, MN

BigPete
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by BigPete » January 25th, 2021, 7:39 am

dacolson wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 6:52 pm
I assume you are talking about the bottom left corner of your door? Tinspark does a lot of sheet metal work. Maybe he’ll reply with some thoughts.

Yep thats the one, you can see it sticking out a little. I'm sure there are loads of ideas, just need one from more experienced folks than me :)

dacolson
Expert
Expert

Post by dacolson » January 25th, 2021, 9:21 am

Heating is tricky. You can get into more trouble than planned. I wonder about cutting your welds there and seeing if the frame is bent. If not, it shouldn’t be too tough to bend the sheet metal back by hand and slowly re weld it. You may need to cut back a ways on both sides. Given they are fillet welds and in a corner it may be tough to get them cut out.

Another option would be to bend the corner back without cutting the welds. I would remove the door from the frame and secure it to a bench with that corner sticking over the edge - bend going toward the ground. Use a bottle jack to slowly bend it up, past flush a bit, and see if it will come back to true.

Tricky issue. Good luck.

Farmington, MN

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Country boy!

Post by Cole Leffert » January 25th, 2021, 2:21 pm

6mm is almost 1/4" plate! That will not be easy to bend! How much is it out? Could you just use a gasket?

dacolson
Expert
Expert

Post by dacolson » January 25th, 2021, 9:44 pm

Cole Leffert wrote:6mm is almost 1/4" plate! That will not be easy to bend! How much is it out? Could you just use a gasket?
Should have done the math. Ya, that’s thick.

Farmington, MN

Return to “Brick and Stone Pits”