I failed **updated...success!**

No Politics, No Religion... Smoking Allowed 8-)
Forum rules
No Politics, No Religion, Smoking is Allowed 8-)
towtruck
Expert
Expert

I failed **updated...success!**

Post by towtruck » August 31st, 2021, 7:12 pm

I saw some southern gals make buttermilk biscuits on TV a few years ago by putting flour, lard, and buttermilk in a bowl and mixing the dough by hand until it felt "Right". I have been wanting to try this for a long time and thought I could pull it off. When I mixed the stuff by hand to get a good feel it was kinda heavy. If you dried it out it completely fell apart so I did my best and while they smelled good cooking they turned out to be rock covered super balls.
Way too heavy and I'm not sure if I should have used more lard and less buttermilk or more buttermilk and less lard......I'm going to stick with smoking, BBQ, and the pizza oven and let the wife worry about baking....obviously the cave man approach can only be done by nice southern ladies.
Last edited by towtruck on September 3rd, 2021, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: I failed

Post by Big T » August 31st, 2021, 7:31 pm

I've found that when I see a southern woman cooking anything where they just add ingredients until it ''feels'' right, I'm better off just staying away from it. lol

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » August 31st, 2021, 7:48 pm

I just went online and found where I saw them made.......and the host later put numbers on all the ingredients so it can be duplicated by inexperienced hands. So, I now have a recipe to follow.....I need to get more buttermilk before I try again.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 1st, 2021, 10:41 am

I'm not the expert, but I've found the key to good, flaky biscuits is to keep everything cold. I freeze and grate my butter (ie, lard), use ice water and gently "fold" the dough just till it comes together. Too much mixing mushes the fat and you will loose the little voids that are created when it melts during cooking.

Sounds fun, let us know how it works out!

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » September 1st, 2021, 1:28 pm

there are no failures... just learning opportunities...

Man... Have I had a lot of learning opportunities! hahaha!

On that note, I am super excited to see your next attempt though!

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 1st, 2021, 3:28 pm

Frank_Cox wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 1:28 pm
there are no failures... just learning opportunities...

Man... Have I had a lot of learning opportunities! hahaha!

On that note, I am super excited to see your next attempt though!
I have the recipe now! I will try again soon and once I know it works I want to use the wood fired oven to make them......I need buttermilk and may have to go pick some up again and try it tonight.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » September 2nd, 2021, 7:18 am

towtruck wrote:
August 31st, 2021, 7:12 pm
I saw some southern gals make buttermilk biscuits on TV a few years ago by putting flour, lard, and buttermilk in a bowl and mixing the dough by hand until it felt "Right". I have been wanting to try this for a long time and thought I could pull it off. When I mixed the stuff by hand to get a good feel it was kinda heavy. If you dried it out it completely fell apart so I did my best and while they smelled good cooking they turned out to be rock covered super balls.
Way too heavy and I'm not sure if I should have used more lard and less buttermilk or more buttermilk and less lard......I'm going to stick with smoking, BBQ, and the pizza oven and let the wife worry about baking....obviously the cave man approach can only be done by nice southern ladies.
There is some truth to your cave man comment. I've said for years that if you're working at making biscuits, yer doin' it wrong.

If you started with everything n the bowl, that's gonna be a big part of this. While the process is not hard, it is important, especially to get the fat cut in well. Sift together the dry ingredients, cut in the fat, and just barely mix in the buttermilk. Dump it out on the floured counter and roll or flatten the dough, cut out and bake. There are more variations on that than there are people on this planet, but that's it in a nutshell. I pretty much always make the recipe from _The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook_, published by America's Test Kitchen. It's a good all-around biscuit. Baking is a much more precise process than a lot of cooking, especially smoking, is.

I shared an apartment with a college buddy in the late 80s and early 90s (we still talk frequently.) We had some leftover roast chicken, I'll make chicken a la king for dinner. He says "I'll run up to the grocery store to get a tin of biscuits." "No, just get a quart of buttermilk." He was sure I was going to make hockey pucks, and I just about had to put another plate on top of the finished biscuits just to keep them on the plate.

Go get more buttermilk. The recipe I use has about half butter and half lard (even though it calls for vegetable shortening. GO LARD!) Oh, and honey.....biscuits & honey are GOOD.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 2nd, 2021, 9:19 pm

Here is Lillies recipe. Vivian is the one who wrote down how much to use....Lillie just puts it in a bowl and works it.....I'm going to go for it again soon, I just need a little more time. I had to put in a new faucet today so maybe Saturday morning..

https://www.vivianhoward.com/gorging-on-life/biscuits

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » September 3rd, 2021, 7:33 am

Now that's an interesting biscuit recipe, different than most Southern biscuits. I do think I'd agree with Ms. Howard, it'd take me a couple of tries to make these, they're a departure in method from what I usually make. The ingredients are nearly the same, although Lillie's recipe does not call for baking soda (I use both soda and powder.) That's not surprising, it looks like the work time in the bowl is rather longer than what I spend after adding the buttermilk. Soda will react immediately with the buttermilk to make a rise, baking powder won't react until it hits oven heat.

Lillie's kneading method is a lot like making hand made pasta, there's an art to bringing flour into the wet ingredients at the right rate and ending up with the right consistency. Me.... I grew up in a very frugal kitchen, there was never anything left in the bottom of the mixing bowls.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 3rd, 2021, 3:04 pm

I was in the mood to try this again and I succeeded! I followed the recipe to the T except for one part. The recipe makes ten golf ball sized dough balls and I thought something was wrong so I placed them on the baking sheet close together but did not flatten them to 1/2". I had them about 3/4". They turned out really good and flaky. I am now going to make gravy with sausage to make biscuits and gravy for tonights dinner.

I am also going to make another batch in a minute.....we are going to need them as the testing of the biscuits has shorted us for dinner

Second batch is in the oven. This time I used all the flour in the bowl before the dough got just right. It goes through a very sticky stage then smoothes out. I made smaller balls and smashed them 1/2" and got 12 in this batch.....pics to follow.

Second batch is done and better than the first. I think the smaller balls with using all the flour made the difference. I separated them after baking to make them cool faster......these are so good!

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: I failed **updated...success!**

Post by towtruck » September 3rd, 2021, 5:47 pm

Whipped up a batch of Southern sausage gravy and had an early dinner......

So good. I need a nap now.

I need to add a little more milk when I reheat that gravy as a little wetter gravy to soak into the biscuit is always a good thing.

Gravy was 1 lb of breakfast sausage made by a local shop, 1/4c flour, 2c milk, S+P. Easy peasy.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » September 3rd, 2021, 6:50 pm

Wait, you MEASURE when making sausage gravy?????? :D

Dinner looks darned good. Think I might have to try this biscuit recipe some time.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 3rd, 2021, 9:43 pm

JKalchik wrote:
September 3rd, 2021, 6:50 pm
Wait, you MEASURE when making sausage gravy?????? :D

Dinner looks darned good. Think I might have to try this biscuit recipe some time.
I have to be honest...this was my first attempt at gravy as well. I followed the recipe to avoid a repeat of the first batch of biscuits. The recipe called for adding a little more milk at the end to thin it back out. Next batch will get that extra splash of milk....even though this first batch was darn good. The biscuits are different than most and paired well with the gravy but a thinner gravy would be nice so there is a little left on the plate to mop up with each bite of biscuit!!! Thinner will make it balance out better. Now that I can make both I am writing down my steps so I can do it again.

I have never been a baker or cook, the wife has done it for 36 years. My duty is BBQ, smoking, bacon, and now the wood fired oven. When we first got married I tried to make something and I cave man'd it and made a tasty meal that sat in your gut like a rock....for three days it sat there. Ever since I secured my place out of the kitchen :))

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » September 4th, 2021, 12:27 am

Makes me want some biscuits and gravy!! :needfood:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » September 4th, 2021, 3:46 am

:yth:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Lucky and grateful
BBQ Comp Team Name: Only competing with myself

Post by dacolson » September 4th, 2021, 9:49 am

So good! I’ve been substituting beef tallow for butter or crisco/lard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave C - QueNorth Smokers
Farmington, MN

Return to “Off Topic Stuff”