Sausage maker/budding comp bbq'er here in Katy, TX

Tell us a little about yourself!
HarpBoyTodd

Sausage maker/budding comp bbq'er here in Katy, TX

Post by HarpBoyTodd » April 13th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Howdy folks! I've been lurking for a few months before this first post, and let me first thank you all for this site and the fount of information it provides. A little about me: I'm a craft sausage maker-100% my own recipes-who is on the verge of business creation and moving forward. Most of my recipes are done as fresh sausages, but I also create links that need to be smoked(my real-deal La Place, Louisiana style andouille and some of my boudin, to name a couple). And, a recent development is I'm getting into competition BBQ. I'm a structural designer by trade, and I work at a fab shop. They've offered to build me whatever I design. So...I'm working up a design for a true vertical offset cabinet style sausage monster with dampers to control the heat, but first I'm thinking I want a more portable UDS style. My target temp range for sausages is 150-160, which I know I can get on a WSM, so it seems perfectly attainable on a UDS, IF it is set up right. I'd also use it for higher temp smoking of just about everything else . This is where I would be very appreciative of any advice you can offer.

Thank you letting me join the madness!

dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Lucky and grateful
BBQ Comp Team Name: Only competing with myself

Re: Sausage maker/budding comp bbq'er here in Katy, TX

Post by dacolson » April 13th, 2021, 12:48 pm

I'm not a UDS user so I can't comment but there are plenty on the forum and Frank and the team sell a ton of kits for the SmokerBuilder UDS. You are in the right spot for answers. Welcome!

Dave C - QueNorth Smokers
Farmington, MN

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 13th, 2021, 9:38 pm

Welcome aboard!! 150-160 degrees is certainly attainable in a well built UDS. Frank built an offset vertical called the ''Meat Missile'' that was a dedicated sausage smoker. There's a build thread somewhere on the forum.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » April 14th, 2021, 3:33 am

Welcome

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 15th, 2021, 9:07 am

Glad to have you.....interested to see what you sketch out.

My only comment is a uds might be pretty hard to keep at a low 150-160 range...especially during the summer when the temp is high. Being that it is a direct heat source, and so short, the fire would need to be pretty small. Definitely possible with a "minion method" charcoal basket and I've seen some pretty nice diffuser plates lately that will help.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”