Ribs on the new smoker!

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
towtruck
Expert
Expert

Ribs on the new smoker!

Post by towtruck » February 1st, 2020, 5:08 pm

I had to try out the new bbq/smoker on some ribs......turned out pretty good and I could maintain 250* for the first three hours and then 225* for the last 1.5 hours.

I used my old 4"wide x 4" tall charcoal basket from my old smoker and it worked well in the new one.

Rolling smoke....it took a while for all the moisture in the air and smoker to get warm enough to stop with the white steam...

Ribs!

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Ribs on the new smoker!

Post by ajfoxy » February 1st, 2020, 5:45 pm

Look lonley on that big grid... but they do look tasty. :kewl:

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » February 1st, 2020, 5:57 pm

ajfoxy wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 5:45 pm
Look lonley on that big grid... but they do look tasty. :kewl:
I could most likely get 8 racks on there around the fire basket if I tried. The main smoker can do 8 racks and then I can finish them on this grill...that was the plan....but it looks like I could skip the main smoker and just do them on the new bbq....I love options! as now I could possibly do 16 racks at once and finish the second half about 30 minutes after the first half is done. I can use a whole lot less fuel on this unit but I don't have the control on the heat like the main smoker...this one is not air tight and I ran it with the vents all closed and it stayed at 250*. Fire management is key to not overheating it....don't give it more fuel than it needs. I lit a full chimney and only let it get about half burning. I dumped that into my basket and poured another half a chimney of unlit briquettes on the top. It worked well for the job today. Next cook I will try four racks and just keep upping the number until I find the limit as I don't put any ribs right over the coals.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » February 1st, 2020, 10:13 pm

:needfood: :needfood: :needfood: :needfood: :needfood:
:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 3rd, 2020, 11:33 am

Always a challenge....looks good.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » February 9th, 2020, 9:09 pm

I bbq'd some cut up chicken today and I am so glad I made this bbq/smoker the way I did. Being able to drop those coals down low so flare up's are a thing of the past and then raise it back up to caramelize the sauce at the end is a beautiful thing.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » February 11th, 2020, 6:17 am

Always good when a plan comes together...

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Return to “FOOD!”