New BBQ for the trailer is on it's way!

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
towtruck
Expert
Expert

New BBQ for the trailer is on it's way!

Post by towtruck » August 21st, 2019, 2:29 pm

Yesterday I dropped off the plans for my new charcoal BBQ at the metal shop. I am going to replace the round bbq that is on my smoking trailer. The shop is going to cut the pieces out for me and bend what needs to be bent. I have to make this fit the space that is available on the trailer. The cooking surface will be 4'x2'. There will be a cool zone at the front edge about 6" wide and 4' long for a place to drag food that needs to get off the direct heat. The fire/coal tray will be adjustable from the outside of the BBQ and the lid will have two hinges to open it half way or fully. It will be able to function as a smoker as well with the lid down. There will be an ash pan in the bottom that slides out the end. Drip rails inside will direct everything into the pan that falls from the fire tray or grill.

I will be able to get the heat really close to the grill for steaks and a pizza stone and I can drop the fire down for low and slow bbq'ing as well. When I smoke my ribs this new bbq will allow me to pull all the ribs at the same time and finish them on the bbq to firm them up. There will be plenty of room for corn and other stuff on the grill as well.

I have yet to design it but the cooking grate will pull out and stay level so I can add more coals without moving the food.

I'll take some pictures in a few weeks once I get the pieces from the shop and document my build here. I cant wait to have a better grill on my trailer!

bvbull200
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Will cook for welds
BBQ Comp Team Name: Pitfaced BBQ

Re: New BBQ for the trailer is on it's way!

Post by bvbull200 » August 21st, 2019, 2:49 pm

Sounds exciting! All of the features sound great. Looking forward to some pictures so I can better visualize it!

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 8th, 2019, 10:07 am

Well, I'm still waiting for the shop to cut my steel but I did pull the trailer off the patio and back behind the shop so I can work on it easier when the time comes. I have most of this new bbq/smoker figured out in my head and my only sticking place is the cooking grate. The grate frame will be angle iron at least 1"x 1" and I would prefer bigger but the bigger the material the less space I will have above the grate for tall meat. My original thought was to have the grate welded on the inside of the angle on the "L" shape to keep it low as possible. The issue I am having is if I do that I will not be able to support any of the grate from underneath as the grate will slide out of the front of the smoker. If I turn the angle iron over and weld the grate to the bottom of the "7" shaped top leg like most are made then I can add stiffeners under the grate that are no bigger than the frame. It's only an inch or so difference so I think that is how it needs to be done. I have been toying with making the grates out of something other than the standard flat expanded metal too......just not sure what else would be strong enough. My goal is to not have the grates sag.

I have to wait for the metal to get bent to know just how much room I will have above the grate. I have designed four bends in the main sheet of steel and I told the shop that the lost material in the bends can be pushed all the way to the last measurement I gave them. I designed a 1" flat area in the front of the smoker body that the grates were going to sit above. That 1" area may/will shrink and that means my grates will be lower than drawn on the plans. I'm hoping he lost 1/2" in the bends and then I can go with 1.5" angle iron for the grate frame and keep the same clearance as designed.

To refresh memories the round bbq on my smoker trailer is what will be replaced. I will still have the camp stove attached to the new bbq/smoker. I may end up losing my little water tank but I may be able to move it up front under the camp stove. The new bbq will be square/rectangle to better match the look of the rest of the smoker and storage box.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 18th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Just checked with the fabricator that was to cut my sheet steel out and bend it......he smugly says he has not gotten to my project. next week I am going to go by again and if he has not started on it I will pick up my cut plans and walk away from him. I will then have my buddy order me the metal and I will just cut it all myself. I won't do any bends and just cut and re-weld everything myself.....the guy told me two weeks...he's a good fabricator but apparently he puts small jobs off in the corner and must be bugged daily in order to get them done. I don't work that way...do what you say and get it done or I'm on to the next guy.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 24th, 2019, 11:13 am

Yep....if he doesn’t want the work, walk away. Funny part is that small job today could lead to a big job down the road but, unfortunately for him, it will go elsewhere.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 24th, 2019, 4:15 pm

I know your frustration all too well. The closest town to me with fab shops is in Mobile and there are so many shipyards that keep them busy that they don't care about the small jobs. Every time a small shop opens up they get the overflow from the big shops and they end up not caring about the small jobs either.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 27th, 2019, 9:38 pm

I went in the other day and he still has not gotten to it. I have some things to do where I cannot get started on anything just yet so I told him I needed it yesterday and to please get it done asap. He said he would get on it. His business is impacted by the power shut off's so he will probably put it off longer now. Once I get my other obligations taken care of I will either pick up my cut metal, if he does the work,or get my cut plans back and find another shop to do the work.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 29th, 2019, 11:18 am

Yep...hard to fire up the water jet when PG&E has decided to turn off the grid. Hang in there!

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » October 31st, 2019, 4:38 am

Doesn't he know what this is for? Its not like you are building a hospital. Bbq is important. I bet he cooks on propane

Return to “Other Smoker and Grill Designs”