Would love feedback on vertical with baffle plates design

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
rbaco

Would love feedback on vertical with baffle plates design

Post by rbaco » July 13th, 2019, 4:34 pm

I've been smoking meat for a few years on and off, and have used both a Big Green Egg clone with a controller and a UDS. I also grill a whole hog every year - on a rotating spit. So... I am going to build a brick pit for grilling my hogs and would like to add a smoker on one side. My idea is to build with masonry block with brick on the outside, and firebrick in the FB. I also want to make sure I prevent grease, etc from falling into the FB, so I thought I'd add a couple of sloped, overlapping baffle plates with a drain though the wall at the bottom of the slope. My assumption is that if I separate the plates at a distance that provides the right throat area, this should work well. But I've never built something like this, so wanted to run it by the experts. My design so far looks like this:

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 2.32.10 PM.png

Any feedback would be appreciated. Once I finish the design and start the build, I'll post pics.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Re: Would love feedback on vertical with baffle plates design

Post by pr0wlunwoof » July 13th, 2019, 5:16 pm

I built a brick pit with my dad when I was in highschool. Very similar to your design but with an offset firebox. It takes a ton of work to run and clean that thing. Mostly it's just a nice home for cockroaches now. With that said I think your design may work, but I would be hesitant to have the fire box directly under the pit. Even with the grease trap designed the way your planning it has the potential to catch fire pretty easy and then your in a world of hurt. At minimum I would add another plate below your trap that would take the direct heat from the fire. To heat that kind of cubic inch to fit a whole got your gonna need a bit of a fire and you want to keep the fat as far away from the direct flame or possible embers. Honestly given what I know I would encourage you to build a reverse flow smoker out of an old propane tank. Takes a different skill set but you will like running it more than a brick pit. Hope that's helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 13th, 2019, 10:04 pm

For ease of cleaning and stability, maybe make a steel smoker and brick over it. It will allow much more design flexibility and temp controll.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » July 14th, 2019, 4:53 am

P1040263 (Medium).jpeg
I use a water pan for both a diffuser and grease catch .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Return to “Other Smoker and Grill Designs”