tank and pipe build

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
wannasmoke
beginner
beginner

tank and pipe build

Post by wannasmoke » July 15th, 2021, 11:20 pm

So I've Been wanting an offset. Figure I can build myself the quality I'd like cheaper than buying it if as per usual I ignore the time and work involved, with the added bonus of easy tool purchase justification. Decided to actually start collecting some major parts. I Have a general idea what I'm looking to do but figured I'd put it up along the way to ask questions and try to benefit from the collective experience here and just show the build. So here's what I got so far from watching marketplace through the wife's facebook.
1-24" OD, 5 1/2 ft long, 1/2" thick pipe. This would be firebox material.
1-5OO gallon tank. 156" long, 31.4" OD tank. .26 wall thickness, built in 1951 by A. O. Smith. complete with sweet brass id tag. Think it's gonna stay on the one I keep.

So the tank was described as empty, but definitely has some fuel in it still so I'm gonna see how much wants to transfer to my empty cylinders for my fryer/blackstone. Then go about venting and purging. I was happy to get this older, thicker tank. Also wanted like 30" diameter, not the newer ones at the 40" or whatever they are. I don't believe there is a bung on the main body to deal with, everything is on one bell end. These tanks aren't as available around here as I woulda figured. local company won't sell condemned ones and most all are rented from them anymore. Anyhow eventually found it an within an hour away and was able to easily winch it right up on the trailer, where it currently sits.

Pipe was the same, found on marketplace nearby. loaded easy. So I figure for the general size I want, I've got material for two builds. I'll build and keep one and build and sell another or the just metal. I've got a given free boat/trailer I havent gotten around to that will donate it's trailer. Its not the average thin tube, was an older fiberglass boat and the trailer is fabbed from 1/4 wall 3" C channel. So it ought to be up to the weight of this thing.

So some stuff I think I want to incorporate is a grease dam at the throat, grease drain near this dam, the jambo/dacalson type throat baffle and riser thing. Probably do a triangular collector as I like the look. I'm thinking I want around 72" on the cook chamber length. And that gives me one of my concerns, with a relatively long firebox?, 36" I'm still undersize on the calculator. Is it all down to volume, does general shape of a firebox not "ruin" an offset? I guess I can find a different firebox, i.e. bigger diameter. but I have this giant thickwall pipe on hand now lol... So I guess enjoy the pics and let me know what you think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: tank and pipe build

Post by hogaboomer » July 15th, 2021, 11:59 pm

Cut 4 inches off the cook chamber and add 4 inches to the firebox, puts you at 106%. Nice looking tank for 1951.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 16th, 2021, 11:47 am

Gotta start somewhere.....looks like you are committed at this point.

wannasmoke
beginner
beginner

Post by wannasmoke » July 16th, 2021, 1:04 pm

hogaboomer wrote:
July 15th, 2021, 11:59 pm
Cut 4 inches off the cook chamber and add 4 inches to the firebox, puts you at 106%. Nice looking tank for 1951.
Yeah. I see some cookers with longer firebox, the being able to pull fire back from CC is usually brought up. And could do a smaller one with the leftover firebox material.

Yeah fresh 6th coat of paint recently. Lol. Guess we’ll see for sure when it’s opened up.

wannasmoke
beginner
beginner

Post by wannasmoke » July 16th, 2021, 1:13 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 11:47 am
Gotta start somewhere.....looks like you are committed at this point.
Yup. Got extra material in case I cut wrong or something. Really not in it too bad yet, half of one of those old country Brazos before taxes. Still need to find some plate to cap cut ends. Maybe a piece of expanded(Ive got most a sheet from another thing I’d done) and stack material. And the temp gauges and hinges and whatnot. I considered using both tank ends on my personal one but I don’t think I’ll go through the work. I think I’ll just call the cut end with plate.

wannasmoke
beginner
beginner

Post by wannasmoke » July 23rd, 2021, 12:22 pm

So some progress toward the project, not designing/cutting/welding yet but needs done for space reasons and will help moving this thing around until I get it empty and in smaller pieces. And get it off my everyday trailer.just Fun to see stuff smashed, too, but had to crop the video down a lot.

Here is a link to the full video of boat getting crushed, happens to be my first youtube vid lol. maybe better than downloading three second vid...
https://youtu.be/xUcLyxGK198
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brewmaster
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Brewmaster » July 23rd, 2021, 8:32 pm

lol good stuff, why crush the boat? Get to building that smoker soon?! I'm very envious of that tank and pipe!

wannasmoke
beginner
beginner

Post by wannasmoke » July 23rd, 2021, 9:24 pm

Brewmaster wrote:
July 23rd, 2021, 8:32 pm
lol good stuff, why crush the boat? Get to building that smoker soon?! I'm very envious of that tank and pipe!
I was given it to take it away, I fish(and collect mechanical crap lol) and a buddies dad had let it sit around covered/uncovered for a lot of years. The stringers and top deck were waterlogged from rain and leaf plugged drain. First figured it’s a free motor and trailer, took home and then liked the boat and thought I may take up fiberglass repair lol. Well few months later now, I think I’m just more an aluminum boat guy.

I will. I’ve got 2 1/2 and a 6 month old. I also work an 8 10’s on/6 days off rotation. So it’ll come in chunks. I’m also on a list for a plasma cutter from Everlast, supposedly supposed to come in mid august…. Like to try it out vs. blow through the torch tanks. In mean time I’m looking through your guys builds, and learning. Watching for more cheap material.

wannasmoke
beginner
beginner

Post by wannasmoke » July 25th, 2021, 3:08 pm

Tank drain underway. Filled a couple small tanks before only being able to get pressure/vapor equalization on the third. Sure been running the weed burner a long time though…. Any thoughts from those in the know on using an air powered Venturi to remove the last bit before valves come off and water fill?

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by hogaboomer » July 25th, 2021, 3:32 pm

Open the valve and turn it upside down. Propane is heavier than air, it will run out.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

wannasmoke
beginner
beginner

Post by wannasmoke » July 25th, 2021, 3:44 pm

694AC919-565C-4A08-8672-069631C0DFC1.jpeg
hogaboomer wrote:
July 25th, 2021, 3:32 pm
Open the valve and turn it upside down. Propane is heavier than air, it will run out.
I will. Well also I have, how I got the liquid to transfer, Ive got it on roller dollies on the trailer. One thing with this tank is all valves are on a mini bell on one end. No other bungs. Will have to lift the other end up pretty good but that’ll help.

wannasmoke
beginner
beginner

Post by wannasmoke » July 25th, 2021, 8:40 pm

Finally petering out, 6 hours in I believe after starting. Could have done a few boils and fish fry’s lol. This was safest though I think. I won’t show my tank to tank transfer rig. But I’ve got this torch on a line in my drive probably 30 yards from anything else. Even the truck. Spent most the time on a chair next to the valve.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » July 26th, 2021, 9:01 am

Yep...you needed a discada.....could have cooked for the whole neighborhood!

wannasmoke
beginner
beginner

Post by wannasmoke » July 27th, 2021, 4:50 pm

Think she’s safe now. Ended up being over 8 hours till flame out on that torch. Then got the valves at low point, pulled them all and let it waft out under gravity for a day. Rolled it back over and filled it.dish soaped it for smell and surface tension( 🤔 ). Still had an air bubble I believe so I plugged everything back up and put a little bleeder in. My well pumped it up to over 60psi,ran steady stream for awhile.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » July 28th, 2021, 12:15 pm

Time to cut it open!

Bimmster

Post by Bimmster » July 30th, 2021, 9:26 am

Hello are you still with us??? fingers crossed!

wannasmoke
beginner
beginner

Post by wannasmoke » July 30th, 2021, 8:09 pm

Lol I’m alive. Back on my work rotation though. Hoping my plasma cutter will ship in first week or two of august. I’d like to try it out on this. On the hunt for some cheap plate still too.

Return to “Standard Offsets”