Changing stack

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Post Reply
bstory
Expert
Expert
Posts: 353
Joined: July 15th, 2013, 8:45 pm
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Amarillo Texas

Changing stack

Post by bstory » August 20th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Hey guys, well I went full bore on putting a roof on my smoker and didn’t think about the stack. As long as the calculations come out ok, I’ll be ok just to put a smaller diameter pipe that is long enough to get out from under the roof, correct?ImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro



User avatar
towtruck
Expert
Expert
Posts: 559
Joined: August 4th, 2018, 4:50 pm

Re: Changing stack

Post by towtruck » August 20th, 2019, 7:10 pm

I don't know how well it would work but what about a larger stack in the roof that comes down to within 6" of your stack to an upside down funnel shape to catch most of the smoke?........just a hair brained idea and I ain't got much hair left... =))

Might just be easier to make new one's but if the pits work I would be reluctant to change them......Hopefully someone that has done this will chime in.



Wicky
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder
Posts: 62
Joined: September 3rd, 2018, 8:05 am
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: New London, Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Changing stack

Post by Wicky » August 20th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Tack on an extension the same size and see what happens before you finish.



bstory
Expert
Expert
Posts: 353
Joined: July 15th, 2013, 8:45 pm
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Amarillo Texas

Re: Changing stack

Post by bstory » August 20th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Wicky wrote:Tack on an extension the same size and see what happens before you finish.
Thanks for the reply
I am afraid if I go the same size that long it won’t flow correctly. I’ll have to go to the shop tomorrow and measure. 4” pipe would need to be 55” to be the same volume as the 6”. If will stick out I may change it to a 4” pipe.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro



bstory
Expert
Expert
Posts: 353
Joined: July 15th, 2013, 8:45 pm
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Amarillo Texas

Re: Changing stack

Post by bstory » August 20th, 2019, 8:07 pm

towtruck wrote:I don't know how well it would work but what about a larger stack in the roof that comes down to within 6" of your stack to an upside down funnel shape to catch most of the smoke?........just a hair brained idea and I ain't got much hair left... =))

Might just be easier to make new one's but if the pits work I would be reluctant to change them......Hopefully someone that has done this will chime in.
Kind of like a vent above a stove?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro



User avatar
towtruck
Expert
Expert
Posts: 559
Joined: August 4th, 2018, 4:50 pm

Re: Changing stack

Post by towtruck » August 20th, 2019, 8:12 pm

bstory wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 8:07 pm
towtruck wrote:I don't know how well it would work but what about a larger stack in the roof that comes down to within 6" of your stack to an upside down funnel shape to catch most of the smoke?........just a hair brained idea and I ain't got much hair left... =))

Might just be easier to make new one's but if the pits work I would be reluctant to change them......Hopefully someone that has done this will chime in.
Kind of like a vent above a stove?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's my thinking....but I have no practical knowledge if it would work.



User avatar
AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Posts: 161
Joined: December 29th, 2016, 2:54 am
Title: SmokinAddict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Changing stack

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » August 29th, 2019, 5:53 am

I wish someone would make a topic on building one of these covers for a trailer. Try as I might I cannot wrap my mind around how to pull it off.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



bstory
Expert
Expert
Posts: 353
Joined: July 15th, 2013, 8:45 pm
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Amarillo Texas

Re: Changing stack

Post by bstory » August 29th, 2019, 8:11 am

AndrewPalmer71 wrote:I wish someone would make a topic on building one of these covers for a trailer. Try as I might I cannot wrap my mind around how to pull it off.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once I get my R-panels in and put them on. I’ll get some pictures and kind of explain it.
Image
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro



User avatar
AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Posts: 161
Joined: December 29th, 2016, 2:54 am
Title: SmokinAddict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Changing stack

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » August 29th, 2019, 8:28 pm

Awesome! Thanks bstory.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



JRINNE
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
Posts: 65
Joined: November 12th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Central Nebraska

Re: Changing stack

Post by JRINNE » August 31st, 2019, 2:59 pm

I have been thinking of doing this to mine as well. My thought was to make a chimney in the roof that my stacks could vent into. My thought is that if I make it say a 12” square for example, put a rain cap on it, and bring it down about even with my stacks. I wouldn’t think it will affect the draw of the smoker.



Post Reply

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”