Are All The Offset Smoker Plans Reverse Flow?

Tell us a little about yourself!
HogFarmHero

Are All The Offset Smoker Plans Reverse Flow?

Post by HogFarmHero » July 29th, 2020, 10:18 am

Hello All,

New to the forum and anxious to dive in on my smoker build. Was shopping the plans and it seems all of the offset smoker designs are reverse flow. Would like to build the traditional offset without the baffle plate and exhaust on opposite side of firebox so I can have the option to grill. I've heard grilling on reverse flow can damage baffle plate. Any advice?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Are All The Offset Smoker Plans Reverse Flow?

Post by Dirtytires » July 29th, 2020, 10:49 am

Why would you want to put charcoal in your cook chamber? What a mess.

Build a smoker AND a grill.

dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by dacolson » July 29th, 2020, 10:53 am

:yth: Welcome to the forum! I wouldn't grill on either to be honest. High heat in there can warp doors, ruin your season and leave a lot of ash to wreck your smokes even if you clean it out well. Definitely not on the reverse flow. I'd build a separate grill with proper vents set up in the cook chamber. I've seen others and even guys who build very nice setups for grill/smoker combos. It's hard enough to clean up a smoker after a long cook. Add ash to the mix? Not for me.

Dave C - Smoking meat - Offset RF Smoker. Big Green Egg. Homemade mailbox cold smoker.
Novice welder - Everlast PowerMTS 252STi
Farmington, MN

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » July 29th, 2020, 11:11 am

It was done here with a center feed......https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... =11&t=7432

Takes a lot of design work and extra parts to make it but it can be done..

dacolson
Expert
Expert

Post by dacolson » July 29th, 2020, 11:45 am

Man, I forgot about Tinspark's rig. That thing is sweet. Center feed smoker and Santa Maria style grill. What a beautiful beast. I know I'm backtracking on my comment above but if you have the fab skills and can put something together like that, why not? Like towtruck says though, it will take a ton of design work.

Dave C - Smoking meat - Offset RF Smoker. Big Green Egg. Homemade mailbox cold smoker.
Farmington, MN

HogFarmHero

Post by HogFarmHero » July 30th, 2020, 10:41 am

Thanks for the warm welcome and responses. When I'm doing events, some folks want burgers, dogs and brats hot off the grill. So I would like to have that option.

dacolson
Expert
Expert

Post by dacolson » July 30th, 2020, 11:17 am

HogFarmHero wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome and responses. When I'm doing events, some folks want burgers, dogs and brats hot off the grill. So I would like to have that option.
Are you building a trailer? I built a grill on the back side of my trailer.

Farmington, MN

Farmington, MN

tinspark
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by tinspark » July 30th, 2020, 1:39 pm

HogFarmHero wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 10:18 am
Hello All,

New to the forum and anxious to dive in on my smoker build. Was shopping the plans and it seems all of the offset smoker designs are reverse flow. Would like to build the traditional offset without the baffle plate and exhaust on opposite side of firebox so I can have the option to grill. I've heard grilling on reverse flow can damage baffle plate. Any advice?
Hello HogFarmHero
I can do both on mine

If you build your BP from 1/4", (since it doubles as a heat sink) it wont be damaged. Some guys have placed their fires on the bottom of their FB's for years without damage (may have air flow issues under their fires but that's another story).
I made my BP removable with High heat gasket at the edges which seals along inverted angle iron troughs along the perimeter.

I am religious about keeping my rig clean, and I always throw in a log or two when I am done with my cooks (smokes) just to keep temps up and then spray a little water in there and it creates steam. I close things up for a bit to loosen gung up and let it self steam clean and then scrape things out and shoot it out the ball valve.
When I grille (Santa Maria style) I simply pull my BP out and dump the ash after things cool down.. No mess in the smoker whatsoever.
I am kicking around making a few lighter gauge (maybe 12 gauge) removable pans with handles to lay on the BP when I grille so that I only have to remove those. Then I would never have to pull my BP. Maybe this will work for you too.

Also if you look at the sketches on this site under "Smoker Terminology" http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... 148&t=4955
You will see the difference between the offset and the RF. RF has a BP. Offset has tuning plates which can be arranged with gaps to let heat pass where desired. They typically lay in and can be moved, Some guys bolt them in too.
Last edited by tinspark on July 31st, 2020, 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,
tinspark's the name smokin's the game
Current build-GF....last build- Santa Maria Smoker!
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 04#p113904

tinspark
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by tinspark » July 30th, 2020, 1:53 pm

HogFarmHero wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 10:41 am
Thanks for the warm welcome and responses. When I'm doing events, some folks want burgers, dogs and brats hot off the grill. So I would like to have that option.
I like dacolson's setup. You can have your smoker going and fire up the grille too.
MY Santa Maria is one or the other. I do have other options though (Dare I say gas grille) lol!
But he built a sweet rig. I never plan on taking mine off of my patio however ..You might do better with one like his. A separate smoker and separate grille. That way you can run em' both at the same time as an option

Regards,
tinspark's the name smokin's the game
Current build-GF....last build- Santa Maria Smoker!
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 04#p113904

Return to “Introduce yourself!”