Maybe Frankenqube XL

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
Boston
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Maybe Frankenqube XL

Post by Boston » May 12th, 2020, 12:01 am

Ok so I am trying to decide on a smoker setup, and could really use some input. I have the plans for the 24x48 RF, and my dad has been thinking about building a mini GF so I got those plans for him, but they are both a little more then I want to take on right now. I like simplistic designs, I love my UDS, I use that more then my egg smoker, and then I see the frankenqube xl! I long the ease of use of the uds but want more capacity, and the frankenqube seems like it would fit that bill.

People that have used them, what downsides have you found? Roughly what is the weight on it? Roughly what kind of cook time can you get without restocking the fire in 40ish degree weather?

I was looking at them thinking, I wonder if I could just wing it on building the frankenqube, until I saw one of Frank’s lives when he mentioned 5 prototypes out back. So I should probably be on the safe side and go with the plans. lol

Miss Disa is keeping an eye on the smoker to make sure nobody takes off with the cheesecake (someone dared me to smoke one so I said challenge accepted).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Maybe Frankenqube XL

Post by Dirtytires » May 12th, 2020, 10:58 am

No idea on the cube but that 24x48 rf is really not that difficult to build. To simplify things, you could always skip the warmer box, drain and top shelf of the cook chamber. I find the drain unnecessary and the shelf and warmer could always be added later. It calls for 0.25 plate/pipe but you could go thinner if that is all you can work with. This would also cut down on the weight, time and expense.

Just adding a few thoughts....

Boston

Post by Boston » May 12th, 2020, 12:30 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 10:58 am
No idea on the cube but that 24x48 rf is really not that difficult to build. To simplify things, you could always skip the warmer box, drain and top shelf of the cook chamber. I find the drain unnecessary and the shelf and warmer could always be added later. It calls for 0.25 plate/pipe but you could go thinner if that is all you can work with. This would also cut down on the weight, time and expense.

Just adding a few thoughts....
Thank you for the ideas and input on it. I should have specified it is for the cost aspect. I have thought about going smaller like that on the 24x48 rf, but I have a certain idea I want to go with for it, including mounting it on a small trailer. So I know roughly what I am looking at cost wise and I was kind of wanting to save that one until I can afford to make my vision come to life. But who knows, I might just build a stripped down version like you mentioned for just a backyard cooker, and something to practice on, and eventually build my trailer mounted setup. Thank you again for the input.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 12th, 2020, 4:42 pm

I haven't seen anyone on the forums that has built a Frankencube but I believe that there was one or two of them on the smokerbuilder Facebook page a while back. I certainly understand your budget constraints as it took me a while to fund my trailer rig. Why not build another UDS for the time being ? You could look around and find an 85 gallon drum if you wanted something a little bigger. I believe that Frank sells a custom grate for the 85 if not, I'm sure you could make one for you.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Boston

Post by Boston » May 13th, 2020, 10:36 am

Big T wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 4:42 pm
I haven't seen anyone on the forums that has built a Frankencube but I believe that there was one or two of them on the smokerbuilder Facebook page a while back. I certainly understand your budget constraints as it took me a while to fund my trailer rig. Why not build another UDS for the time being ? You could look around and find an 85 gallon drum if you wanted something a little bigger. I believe that Frank sells a custom grate for the 85 if not, I'm sure you could make one for you.
Thank you for the input Big T. I did think about building a second drum and running two of them if I needed more space, but I am going to be moving from New Mexico to Wisconsin later this year, so I want to minimize what I am moving out there with, and I was thinking that one smoker would be better then multiple. But if it is too large or not efficient enough then I probably would be better off with building a second drum. Hmmm, too many options, I just want all the smokers. lol. Thank you again for giving me more to think on.

Return to “Other Smoker and Grill Designs”