New Trailer Smoker

Tell us a little about yourself!
Wiseguyh2o

New Trailer Smoker

Post by Wiseguyh2o » January 14th, 2020, 10:19 am

Hello, my name is Shad and I built my first smoker 28 years ago. It was modeled from another one I saw at a event. Made from a 500 gallon oil tank it is I guess what you would consider a center feed as the fire is in the middle of the tank with racks all around. I have cooked a lot of meat on it and it has been a good one. I've had as much as 2 hogs and 6 turkeys in it at once. But it is only 1/8th inch thick and the bottom has rusted out. I am going to have some 1/4 inch rolled so I can re-line the bottom, as this smoker is sentimental to me as my first. I also have decided to build a new Trailer unit from a 500 gallon propane tank that I picked up. I love to look at other smokers people build and ideas they come up with. I found this site while doing that and I am very impressed with all the knowledge and advice it has to offer. That being said I have some questions that I hope all of you can help me with as I finalize plans for my new build. What are everyone's thoughts on traditional offset vs reverse flow, pro and cons. Also when using the calculator does the shape of the tank change anything? My tank is 8'6" long by 41" in diameter, which is not the normal 500 gallon size of 10'x37". Any help I can get is very much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: New Trailer Smoker

Post by towtruck » January 14th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Welcome! The calculators will work just fine for your build. The shorter, wider tank should work better than the longer narrow one. I cannot comment on the benefits of doing Rf over offset or vice versa. They both cook well. There is going to be less material and less welding with the offset though.
Keep us posted on the build and we love pictures!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » January 14th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Welcome.

The calculator will work on any shape. Just remember you need to follow the calculator pretty close for it to work.

I’m a big fan of the reverse flow style and I own both. The RF is easier to operate and maintains a much more even temp across the entire rack. This means I can use my entire rack for food and very rarely need to rotate food for it to cook evenly. Might just be me but I also think it tastes a bit better and over-dry meat is much less of an issue on the RF, probably both a result of the drippings on the baffle plate.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » January 14th, 2020, 9:23 pm

:welcome: :yth:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » January 15th, 2020, 5:50 am

:welcome:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » January 15th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Welcome. The "boys with the most toys" will give you good advice. They have been there and done that.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Return to “Introduce yourself!”