Sort of hybrid question

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Brannmann Elvis

Sort of hybrid question

Post by Brannmann Elvis » August 12th, 2019, 7:08 pm

Hi! I'm building my first smoker these days. Reading trough forums of building tips, calculators and design theory i got something that won't leave my head, putting bbq gas burners inside the CC to utilize the smoker as a gas grill for those quick meals without the time to fire it properly.

Any toughts on that crazy idea?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Sort of hybrid question

Post by Big T » August 12th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Welcome aboard!! Multi-functional cookers are often discussed on the forum but the general consensus is that they don't really work very well. Also when building a gas cooker there are a lot of safety features that have to be added to make it safe. If you skip any of these items you could potentially build a bomb and that wouldn't end well for anybody near the cooker.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » August 12th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Welcome! Like big T said....if it's not done right it can be very dangerous. Most gas grills are open on the bottom and unless your smoker will have a removable bottom I would just keep a store bought gas grill in the corner....heck, if you get out to Ca. I will give you my gas grill as I am about to sell it cheap!

Brannmann Elvis

Post by Brannmann Elvis » August 12th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Thanks for the offer, but i live in Norway :)
I was not planning to combine use of gas while smoking, only for quick grilling. When not in use the gas bottle will be disconnected.
The major worrie is that gas can accumulate in the bottom of CC if the burners goes out? Or is there something i have missed?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 13th, 2019, 10:51 am

Gas burners require a lot of air to properly work. This means large inlets on the bottom and big vents on the top.

A smoker needs to be as air-tight as you can get it with only a small damper controlling the air.

By the time to increase the air needed to burn the gas safely, the smoker is worthless. You will be much happier with a gas grill.....and a smoker.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”