Hi from Perth Western Australia

Tell us a little about yourself!
aquabogan

Hi from Perth Western Australia

Post by aquabogan » July 17th, 2019, 11:25 pm

Hello from Australia,
Just your typical beer swilling BBQ enjoying petrol head from WA .
Have always enjoyed Aussie old school muscle cars, camping, fishing, boat racing ( Avon Decent style ) hence the nickname, and cooking the good old BBQ.
I'v recently seen a good mate of mine crank out some devine Brisket from a vertical smoker he has purchaced from Bunnings ( Home / Building supply chain in Australia) .
Always been interested in slow cooking foods but was given a book on smoking about 8 weeks ago and then the itch had to be cured.
I've done some cooking in camp ovens to feed the blokes on our fishing trips , Roasts of Beef or Pork with vegies and slow cooked Lamb Shanks, Damper and breads, all over hot coals from the fire using the Cast Iron camp ovens on the beach at Steep Point in Shark Bay or love to cook breakfast lunch or dinner over a standard flat plate BBQ ( The most common method of outdoor cooking in Australia) .
Now over the last 6 weeks I have started getting some gear together for this build Im starting .
I have a gas/ gassless mig i've been using for the last 2 years as gassless ( flux core wire has about 10 metres left till empty) , have now purchaced the Argon gas bottle and welding wire to suit .
Found a Bloke getting rid of some old LPG gas tanks from vehicles - 5 tanks in total from aprox 15 gallon up to 40 gallon, delivered to my door for FREE !!
Im starting my first attempt at a RF using a 21 Gallon tank, i have made a cradle out of some old scrap chip board and lengths of pine to bring the LPG tank up to a workable height.
Also found a good price on 20 brand new fire bricks as Im lining the FB with them for some thermal mass and a few valves for fat/oil drains . Total cost of build so far is AUS $49.00 . Was going to see if anyone had some plate steel to trade on a few swap / sell trade websites in WA as im doing this one on a supper low budget . Then Mrs challenged me to build what I wanted for under the cost of what my good friend paid for at Bunnings for his vertical smoker and i have till Christmas to get it done !!!
Going to go with a rectangular fire box but need some checks done of the numbers before I start cutting.
I'll try not to bug you too much with my questions and look forward to your advice.

Cheers

AquaBogan .

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Hi from Perth Western Australia

Post by Dirtytires » July 17th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Sounds like an interesting project....wonder what you will come up with.

Nice upgrade on ditching the flux wire. Personally, I would just throw away the last legnth of it and hook up the gas.

aquabogan

Post by aquabogan » July 17th, 2019, 11:50 pm

Hey Dirty The last of that flux wire wont last the weekend, fresh wire fresh start, i'v put up with it for too long already !!
I have a few ideas on finishing and customising the build just to personalise it a bit, nothing that will affect the cooking just the asthetics.
I'll try to log the build as I go with photos, already got a few of the progress so far so will throw them up when I run the numbers.

Cheers

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » July 18th, 2019, 3:35 am

:welcome:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » July 18th, 2019, 4:52 am

Welcome. If you need to produce some tucker whilst building your RF, why not make a quick and dirty UDS? They are great to have around for small stuff and even to help out when cooking for all the friends and rellies you have not seen for years but turn up at your doorstep when they find out you are the owner of a low and slow smoker.
Have you got a shed? Just remember shielded mig does not like too much wind.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

aquabogan

Post by aquabogan » July 18th, 2019, 7:10 am

Hey Foxy , one project at a time 😆 . The Man Cave/Shed has been cleared out ( somewhat) in preparation for the build. Ready to suck back some welding fumes !!

Boston
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Boston » July 18th, 2019, 10:08 am

:welcome:

Definitely sounds like some fun filled projects. Of course when the Mrs throws down a challenge, all you can do is say challenge accepted.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 18th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Welcome aboard!!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”