Fuel type and Controller

Also called Stump's Clone.
Smokerbuild
beginner
beginner

Fuel type and Controller

Post by Smokerbuild » July 13th, 2019, 4:33 pm

I’m interested in knowing what brand of charcoal you use and why? I use Kingsford Professional but I’ve heard good things about B & B.

I’ve had a few cooks on my mini gravity feed. I bought a FireBoard with fan. Running test now. The cooking chamber reached 250 degrees in less than 10 minutes. Compared to 1 hour without a fan.

My mini runs about 10 degrees hotter on the bottom rack vs the top rack. Is that in the normal temperature range?

Does anyone mix wood in the charcoal chute instead of putting the wood in the tray below the fire grate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Smokerbuild on July 13th, 2019, 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Re: Fuel type and Controller

Post by pr0wlunwoof » July 13th, 2019, 4:48 pm

I'm at the point I buy whatever is cheapest. Can't speak to temp fluctuations. I've never bothered to test a whole lot. Might be something to try tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » July 13th, 2019, 9:41 pm

I've burned both briquettes and natural lump in my GF. I greatly prefer the lump. Briquettes produce a lot more ash, and I don't care for the imparted flavor. The natural lump produces a cleaner smoke and a lot less ash, it doesn't ash over the grate like briquettes do.

B+B is now being carried locally, and I've ran through several bags now. Good stuff, but lump size tends to vary, and the last couple of bags have sparked off more than I'd like. Rockwood is good charcoal, but a good 20-25% more expensive than the B+B. I used to use Royal Oak (10 lb. green bag,) but when I started getting a lot of non-burnables including a 1/2 lb. chunk of clinker, I started looking again. I've also tried BGE in a pinch, seemed to burn all right.

I have about the same temperature variation, maybe a bit more in my double pan GF. I run a HeaterMeter, might have to contemplate a slightly larger fan. Then again, when I shut it down, I close the stack, and plug the air inlet to choke it off. To light it, I shake the ash loose, and use a 50k venturi LP burner in the ash box to light the charcoal at the bottom while I'm mounting the HM. It'll take 1-2 hours to really settle in. If I started with a full lit chimney, it'd come to temp a lot faster.

I've mised some wood chunks into the fuel stack, but you realy want to know how fast your fuel is going to burn to make that work well for you.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Smokerbuild
beginner
beginner

Post by Smokerbuild » July 13th, 2019, 10:15 pm

JKalchik wrote:I've burned both briquettes and natural lump in my GF. I greatly prefer the lump. Briquettes produce a lot more ash, and I don't care for the imparted flavor. The natural lump produces a cleaner smoke and a lot less ash, it doesn't ash over the grate like briquettes do.

B+B is now being carried locally, and I've ran through several bags now. Good stuff, but lump size tends to vary, and the last couple of bags have sparked off more than I'd like. Rockwood is good charcoal, but a good 20-25% more expensive than the B+B. I used to use Royal Oak (10 lb. green bag,) but when I started getting a lot of non-burnables including a 1/2 lb. chunk of clinker, I started looking again. I've also tried BGE in a pinch, seemed to burn all right.

I have about the same temperature variation, maybe a bit more in my double pan GF. I run a HeaterMeter, might have to contemplate a slightly larger fan. Then again, when I shut it down, I close the stack, and plug the air inlet to choke it off. To light it, I shake the ash loose, and use a 50k venturi LP burner in the ash box to light the charcoal at the bottom while I'm mounting the HM. It'll take 1-2 hours to really settle in. If I started with a full lit chimney, it'd come to temp a lot faster.

I've mised some wood chunks into the fuel stack, but you realy want to know how fast your fuel is going to burn to make that work well for you.
Any bridging problems with the lump? Does the lump burn hotter than charcoal? I like to cook at 250, didn’t know if the lump would be too hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » July 14th, 2019, 8:58 am

Smokerbuild wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 10:15 pm
Any bridging problems with the lump? Does the lump burn hotter than charcoal? I like to cook at 250, didn’t know if the lump would be too hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I smoked at 225 yesterday for 22 hours, no issues.

I finally had a bridge yesterday for the first time. I don't consider it to be an issue.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”