Draining water out of a 250 gallon tank

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
ctbassman

Draining water out of a 250 gallon tank

Post by ctbassman » July 11th, 2019, 12:38 am

I have an empty 250 gallon propane tank that I pulled the valves off and filled with water and dishwashing liquid. I siphoned some of the water out of the tank and it had the unpleasant odor of ethyl mercaptan. I live in a neighborhood and worry about dumping the water in my yard and making my neighbors deal with the smell, they already dealt with it once when I was filling the tank with water, they were all understanding as they know what I am going to be using the tank for, but don’t want to press my luck too much with them.

My question to you guys is what method(s) do you employ to drain the water out of your tanks when prepping for cutting?

Thanks.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Draining water out of a 250 gallon tank

Post by Dirtytires » July 11th, 2019, 1:10 am

The generally accepted method is to leave it full. The water will drain as the first cuts are made.

Can’t advise on the smell as I’ve never actually cut a tank. Promise everyone a rack of ribs and beg for understanding.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » July 11th, 2019, 4:16 am

I guess let them know as payment for the smell they are all invited to the first batch of goodies out of the smoker... might ease the issue a bit... or not. :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

McBroom
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by McBroom » July 11th, 2019, 8:52 am

When ya turn the tank over to drain the smell ain’t really that bad. I soaked mine a week but in reality 2 days is more than enough. After it was drained I made the first cut that same day.

- The Blue Mule

Return to “Fabrication How to's”