Low Maintenance Offset Fire Idea

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
smoke_savage
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Low Maintenance Offset Fire Idea

Post by smoke_savage » July 9th, 2019, 6:49 am

Hi All,
Avid stick burner here.
After many hours of browsing youtube I stumbled across a channel called matts bbq pitts, the guy makes some really cool looking offset pits, super heavy duty rigs of all sizes and puts up some fun videos, in one he detailed a low maintenance fire in his offset, which consisted of him stuffing the fire box with lots of small splits / sticks to start then building up to 6'' diameter logs, he then closed it all down and let the smoker run for hours, the idea being that running a tight baffle plate system the huge amount of heat and smoke would run under the food and out the chimney stack, here's the video, thought it was a great idea and wondered if anyone runs a simpler setup??

https://youtu.be/CGLomm56Xw4

Then at the end you can shut it down and make your own charcoal :o

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Low Maintenance Offset Fire Idea

Post by Dirtytires » July 9th, 2019, 10:25 am

Call me what you will but I’m not too sure just dumping a bunch of logs in a firebox is going to make an efficient fire. Think I’ll just keep doing what I do.

Interesting tho....

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Low Maintenance Offset Fire Idea

Post by Big T » July 9th, 2019, 8:07 pm

I watched the video and that thing was bellowing white smoke. I believe that a well maintained fire is a must for a stick burner to turn out a good product. I know that he said he had the TP's pretty much closed so the smoke was bypassing the meat but even with that, he still isn't regulating the temperature. His pit did seem well built so I'll give him that.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “Let's Talk!”