Lets talk over under style.

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
Deerwester
beginner
beginner

Lets talk over under style.

Post by Deerwester » June 11th, 2019, 2:40 pm

New member, so first and foremost, hello!

I absolutely love smoking meat and have played around a bit with some of the cheaper store bought smokers, and turned some great products. But its time to upgrade. I'm not scared of fabrication at all. I'm a certified pipe welder, and while I don't do that for a living, I have built a few motorcycle frames and things like that.

At work I came across ten 55 gallon drums.

I took them home and really want to make an over under reverse flow barrel smoker. I sort of finagled a drawing together, I'll try to attach it.

For the fire box section I found a kit that turns a drum into a stove, perfect! so that's the plan on the bottom, a 11x10 cast iron door with an adjustable damper, line the bottom with fire bricks, put a grate on that, and ill be able to use whole logs!

I would connect the two barrels with a 6" duct, maybe 6" tall so i can fit a quality damper in there.

In the cooking chamber I'm thinking chop a chunk out of a barrel and set it in the belly of the cooking chamber about 3/4 of the way across for the reverse flow effect, and make a holder for a water pan, because I use them lol. Line the bottom of the cooking chamber with fire bricks also to help retain heat, have the cooking great mounted around the midway part of the barrel, and a 6" chimney with a damper, to be used mainly for rain protection, and a cap. a few holes down low to run my thermometers through, and a decent shelf. And when all is said and done I will probably build an insulation blanket for the cooking chamber

I think this set up would give me some great heat retention, plenty of vent control, a great draft, use less fuel, and hopefully cook some great meat!!!

I would love to hear some opinions from you guy!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: Lets talk over under style.

Post by mp4 » June 11th, 2019, 8:27 pm

It's worth a shot...if it doesn't smoke good it will make a great double barrel stove to heat your shop!

Take a peek at the calculator. You'll see that a typical fire box is 1/3 the volume of the cook chamber. On a center feed system like yours they aren't typically that big because there is very little heat loss. Yours looks to be similar in size, so it would definitely be oversized.

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by McBroom » June 11th, 2019, 10:49 pm

You can check out my thread on an over n under smoker. It’s not exactly like your planning on building but still similar.
McBroom’s over and under build.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Deerwester
beginner
beginner

Post by Deerwester » June 12th, 2019, 7:58 am

mp4 wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 8:27 pm
It's worth a shot...if it doesn't smoke good it will make a great double barrel stove to heat your shop! Image

Take a peek at the calculator. You'll see that a typical fire box is 1/3 the volume of the cook chamber. On a center feed system like yours they aren't typically that big because there is very little heat loss. Yours looks to be similar in size, so it would definitely be oversized.
I have checked out the calculator, im currently about 314% oversized on the fire box. LOL! But, I've noticed with smokers with a normal sized fire box, it takes a lot of fuel to maintain cooking chamber heat in the dead of winter when its below 0*f. I figured the fire box would do two things, burn whole logs, and keep me warm while im sitting beside it.

Deerwester
beginner
beginner

Post by Deerwester » June 12th, 2019, 8:00 am

McBroom wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 10:49 pm
You can check out my thread on an over n under smoker. It’s not exactly like your planning on building but still similar.
McBroom’s over and under build.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon
I read your thread before i even joined the site! and it answered a lot of my question and definitely gave me some more confidence! I think im going to follow through with this design, if it doens work ill have 8 more barrels, ill get it right eventually lol.

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by McBroom » June 12th, 2019, 8:08 am

That’s awesome that you read my thread. I really appreciate it.
I’m glad it helped you some.
I still think you should cut the current fb by 1/2 so it’ll be at least 50% closer and it’ll still hold whole logs.
BTW how big are these logs that your planning on using? Nearly everyone uses splits as whole logs don’t burn evenly or produce the smoke evenly.

Keep us updated on your build as we’re all here to help you.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Deerwester
beginner
beginner

Post by Deerwester » June 12th, 2019, 9:51 am

McBroom wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 8:08 am
That’s awesome that you read my thread. I really appreciate it.
I’m glad it helped you some.
I still think you should cut the current fb by 1/2 so it’ll be at least 50% closer and it’ll still hold whole logs.
BTW how big are these logs that your planning on using? Nearly everyone uses splits as whole logs don’t burn evenly or produce the smoke evenly.

Keep us updated on your build as we’re all here to help you.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon
I've thought about this too, but i like the look of the barrel on top and bottom. the fab guy in me wants to build a 1/4" steel fire box inside the bottom barrel, then use high temp insulation to fill up the extra air space, i can get that insulation from work for free. we will see on that. im still pondering weather this will be a budget build, or if ill break into the savings for material. Thanks a ton for your guys input!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 16th, 2019, 8:41 am

Another disadvantage of a full size barrel on the bottom is the potential to get a knee or leg against it while cooking. I like the idea of a smaller firebox so it tucks in a little better.

Return to “Other Smoker and Grill Designs”