Assembling a square firebox

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
Razorok

Assembling a square firebox

Post by Razorok » June 7th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Hello all,

I am going to try and assemble a square fire box and I am seeking any guidance/wisdom you could pass on. My fabrication skills are rough and I am not for sure where to start. The best steps to follow, how to keep it somewhat square. Thank you for all the help!!

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Assembling a square firebox

Post by ajfoxy » June 7th, 2019, 7:42 pm

If you don't have a square (which you should have if you are doing any sort of fabrication), you can check your square by the 345 method.
Think of a triangle. 3 units (inches/feet/cm etc) along one edge, four units along the other edge and the distance between the two marks should be five units. This will give you square. Probably easier when building a house etc, but can be scaled up or down. To keep it square whilst you are welding is something else... :-)
If you tack it all together without putting a huge weld anywhere you can check for square as you go along. Adjust as you go. And remember this is a firebox and not a NASA space project... if it goes out by a small amount no biggie.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 7th, 2019, 8:20 pm

:yth: I would also recommend getting a couple of welding magnets. They're pretty inexpensive and they are very helpful. You should get as much as possible tacked together before welding anything solid. Just take your time and don't let it get you frustrated, like AJ said, it's just a fire box.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 7th, 2019, 11:29 pm

I’ve had pretty good luck by just starting with 6 square sides. Sounds obvious but if all your side pieces are 0.125 off from each other, it is much more work to fit them together. You can use the welders magnets or even tape them till you spot weld each edge. At this point it will still be able to be adjusted a bit with a hammer so check it with a carpenter square. When you are happy, weld up the edges.

Razorok

Post by Razorok » June 9th, 2019, 11:53 am

Thank you guys for all your help! Will be starting this week hopefully.

Return to “Fabrication How to's”