Firebox to Cook chamber opening

backyardbubba

Firebox to Cook chamber opening

Post by backyardbubba » February 5th, 2019, 9:45 am

Hi all. I am literally brand new to this site (15 minutes) and I want to thank everyone in advance for all the great info I/we have gleaned already from this site. My neighbor (an experienced welder) and I are designing a pit and want to get it right the first time if at all possible for all the obvious reasons. We are hyper-focused right now on the opening between the firebox and cook chamber and we have a question.

What are the real-world consequences of either too large or too small of an opening??? We are learning ... so thanks in advance for tolerating such a basic question as sometimes we need to gut check what we think we know with those that actually do know something!

Look forward to hearing from someone ... Thanks again.

BYB

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Firebox to Cook chamber opening

Post by ajfoxy » February 5th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Welcome aboard.
One of the more knowledgable fellers will be along shortly to answer your query.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » February 5th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Welcome! If the opening(throat) is too small it causes a choke point and you can't draft the hot air from the fire box(FB) into the cook chamber(CC) if it's too large you can't control the rate that it drafts from the FB so it's a pretty critical part of the build that can cause some real pains when you're trying to control your temperatures. There's a calculator page on top of the forum that has a pit calculator as well as several other calculators that can get you all of your dimensions. Don't be afraid to ask questions and one of the guys will try to help you out.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 6th, 2019, 1:53 am

You will constantly be fighting your temp if you get it wrong. Too small and the cook chamber will never heat up and too large will mean that you cannot possibly get a small enough fire. I purchased plans on the site and mostly followed them. I did add a damper for extra controll just in case but don’t use it much as my opening is spot on. Follow the calculator on the site and you will end up with a well working, easy to control pit.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » February 6th, 2019, 5:28 am

Welcome

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Return to “General Discussion”