Gravity Feed #5

Also called Stump's Clone.
johnnywoz

Re: Gravity Feed #5

Post by johnnywoz » April 25th, 2019, 8:51 am

In your March 12 post, you have a picture of your firebox, what is that handle in there above the wood chunk??? I'm about to build one of these smokers and have the plans from 'SmokeBuilder' but I don't see that detail.

JKalchik
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » April 25th, 2019, 10:15 am

My bet would be that's the handle for a removable grate under the firebox. Personally, I consider a removable grate to be pretty much required. It's easy enough to build, 2 pieces of angle welded inside the ash box, and a grate welded up from re-rod and and angle.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

h2orescuemedic
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by h2orescuemedic » May 12th, 2019, 5:08 pm

its the grate that the charcoal sits on. If i was to build another one i would add about a 1/16 of an inch to the angle iron that it sits on, It needs just a little wiggle room to make a touch easier to pull out. Its a little tight on mine,

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » May 14th, 2019, 2:02 am

h2orescuemedic wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 5:08 pm
its the grate that the charcoal sits on. If i was to build another one i would add about a 1/16 of an inch to the angle iron that it sits on, It needs just a little wiggle room to make a touch easier to pull out. Its a little tight on mine,
You could "polish" the grate a bit with your angle grinder. If it's tough now it will probably get worse with rust and ash building up.

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”