Mini build progress

Also called Stump's Clone.
okcsmith
beginner
beginner

Mini build progress

Post by okcsmith » November 4th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Thought I d post a few pics of build. I am a newbie welder with more equipment than time but this project has been a great excuse to start teaching my 14 year old how to weld-As they say 14 year olds will always have better welds than 57 year olds even as newbies because they can see ! I know it is not all square and the welds are ugly but its great fun!

I am wondering if I need insulation around firebox and chute? Also does the end of the c channel plate attach to the opposite wall ? Not sure it is quite long enough. I could not find 9 inch channel so I welded up mine with 1/4 plate

(Sorry cannot figure out how to make images rotate correctly)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Mini build progress

Post by Big T » November 4th, 2018, 9:43 pm

The channel does attach to the wall and I would put insulation around the FB and chute as well as the outer skin. It looks like y'all are doing a fine job, keep up the good work. :kewl:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Chromeski
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Chromeski » November 4th, 2018, 10:42 pm

Off to a great start

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 4th, 2018, 11:58 pm

Looking ok to me....great family project.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » November 5th, 2018, 4:20 am

Looking good so far. :kewl:

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Chromeski
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Chromeski » November 5th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Did you stuff the tubes with insulation?

okcsmith
beginner
beginner

Post by okcsmith » November 5th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Yes, forgot a couple but got 80% done up front. Using 3 inch batting from roxol -found it at home depot and lowes under different names but is wool based and heat resistant > 2000 degrees without formaldehyde. Also scored some cheap 1 inch solid panels online with free shipping but was not sure that it was enough to fill 1 1/2 walls to insulate. Will likely use both and weld some roofing nalis in place to hold it up. Any ideas on keeping insulation around firebox and chute? Maybe good old baling wire? Also, where is easiest place to get pipe for air intake and chimney? do most folks use galvanized and grind off zinc in welded areas? Just wondering. I am leaning toward screwing on outer skins so i can remove easier if something malfunctions. Figure I could bend upper lid to 90 degrees at top on both sides to overlap sides for front and back ?

okcsmith
beginner
beginner

Post by okcsmith » November 5th, 2018, 1:23 pm

is there a way to rotate pics? Maybe resize or make smaller?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 5th, 2018, 8:46 pm

I don't think that you can rotate pictures once they're posted and I'm not sure why they ended up that way. I either use an app on my phone to resize pictures or post them straight from my phone using tapatalk app. I've seen a few guys use some scraps of expanded metal or flat bar to secure the insulation around the FB. I would stay away from the galvanized material even though it isn't inside the CC but that's just my preference. I'm not sure where everyone is getting there pipe but if you can't source it local you can check bbqsmokersupply.com or give them a call.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » November 5th, 2018, 10:13 pm

looking good!!
If ya need any parts shoot me a PM... we can send ya pre-cut smoke stack and air inlet parts...
:beer:

okcsmith
beginner
beginner

Post by okcsmith » November 6th, 2018, 1:11 pm

For the chimney is it ok to use a 4 inch diameter pipe or will it throw off the smoker flow-I have a 4 inch piece handy but can get 3 inch if 4 inch is too large? By the way thanks Frank for the offer-I can get the 2 or 3 inch pipe from the steel yard at a fairly inexpensive price compared to shipping from your place but I'll have a lot left over for the next project

By the way, I extended the cabinet by 4 inches in height for a total of 36 inches to get another rack inside if that matters

Chromeski
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Chromeski » November 7th, 2018, 2:06 am

The 4 inch will work fine and you could always close the flu a bit if needed. The extra 4 Inches will work out fine just takes a little longer to recover temp.

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”