What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Tell us a little about yourself!
Post Reply
bvbull200
beginner
beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 9:24 am
Title: Will cook for welds
BBQ Comp Team Name: Pitfaced BBQ
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Contact:

What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by bvbull200 » September 6th, 2018, 10:02 am

Hello, all.

The name is Bryan. Glad to be a part of the community!

I formed a BBQ team 4 years ago - Pitfaced BBQ. Last year I turned it in to a business and began selling our rub.

I've cooked, almost exclusively, on UDSs that a buddy of mine and I make. I have a single-rack flat top, a two-rack dome top, and a mini made from a beer keg with two 14" racks.

I finally decided I need something bigger so I can start cooking events/parties/tailgates with a little more ease. I started looking at Stumps and Myron Mixon smokers as I want a gravity-fed cabinet. As the DIY bug hit me a little more, I kept researching and found this site. Needless to say, I'm working with a couple of buddies to take the plunge and build out a DP gravity-fed based on the plans, results, and information found on this site. I've never spent this much money on a pile of metal that I don't know how to properly put together :D .

I'll mosey on over to the GF sub-forum for a few specific questions I have to make sure it will fit my needs, but, fingers crossed I can get everything together and start building in November - finishing in 2018 or early 2019. I'm not much of a welder, but I know a guy that's willing to help me out.

There are some really skilled folks on here and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge. I'm impressed with everyone's work! Looking forward to the journey.



ron.koehler3
beginner
beginner
Posts: 6
Joined: August 31st, 2018, 9:43 am

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by ron.koehler3 » September 6th, 2018, 10:26 am

bvbull200 wrote:Hello, all.

The name is Bryan. Glad to be a part of the community!

I formed a BBQ team 4 years ago - Pitfaced BBQ. Last year I turned it in to a business and began selling our rub.

I've cooked, almost exclusively, on UDSs that a buddy of mine and I make. I have a single-rack flat top, a two-rack dome top, and a mini made from a beer keg with two 14" racks.

I finally decided I need something bigger so I can start cooking events/parties/tailgates with a little more ease. I started looking at Stumps and Myron Mixon smokers as I want a gravity-fed cabinet. As the DIY bug hit me a little more, I kept researching and found this site. Needless to say, I'm working with a couple of buddies to take the plunge and build out a DP gravity-fed based on the plans, results, and information found on this site. I've never spent this much money on a pile of metal that I don't know how to properly put together :D .

I'll mosey on over to the GF sub-forum for a few specific questions I have to make sure it will fit my needs, but, fingers crossed I can get everything together and start building in November - finishing in 2018 or early 2019. I'm not much of a welder, but I know a guy that's willing to help me out.

There are some really skilled folks on here and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge. I'm impressed with everyone's work! Looking forward to the journey.
Welcome

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk




User avatar
Rodcrafter
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8406
Joined: July 21st, 2012, 5:46 pm
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by Rodcrafter » September 6th, 2018, 10:29 am

:welcome:

Welcome to the crew!


Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Chromeski
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Posts: 129
Joined: July 20th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by Chromeski » September 6th, 2018, 11:40 am

Welcome, I'm in a similar position getting ready to take the plunge on a mini gf. Not sure how committed you are now but Frank is supposed to be releasing a slightly different version of the dp any day now. If you haven't bought materials yet may be best to wait a few days. Either way I'm excited to see what you build.
Are the rubs commercially available now?



JKalchik
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Posts: 147
Joined: March 29th, 2018, 10:07 am
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Minnesota

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by JKalchik » September 6th, 2018, 11:50 am

Where are ya'll located?

I'm gonna have to let you know.... building a gravity fed is going to take you longer than you think, unless you've got a professional fab shop. Having said that.... I have Frank's double pan in the back yard that I'm finishing up, and for me, it's the right beast.

What Chromeski said, though.... if you haven't bought yet, hang loose, and beat on Frank. I'd bet you want what he's working on.


"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

bvbull200
beginner
beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 9:24 am
Title: Will cook for welds
BBQ Comp Team Name: Pitfaced BBQ
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Contact:

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by bvbull200 » September 6th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Chromeski wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 11:40 am
Welcome, I'm in a similar position getting ready to take the plunge on a mini gf. Not sure how committed you are now but Frank is supposed to be releasing a slightly different version of the dp any day now. If you haven't bought materials yet may be best to wait a few days. Either way I'm excited to see what you build.
Are the rubs commercially available now?
Thank you!

The guy I'm working with bought the plans for it yesterday. Maybe Frank can swap us out for the new plans when they release if it's just around the corner? We're trying to get a jump on planning the material acquisition, build-time, etc. We haven't bought anything else, yet.

As for our rubs, they are available! We have just two products right now - our signature Meat Massage and then the Spicy Meat Massage.

I didn't want to spam the forum, but you can see it here:
http://www.pitfacedbbq.com/

I'm but one man trying to run the site in whatever spare time my job, two kids, and wife permit, so don't beat me up too badly on needing some work! ;)



bvbull200
beginner
beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 9:24 am
Title: Will cook for welds
BBQ Comp Team Name: Pitfaced BBQ
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Contact:

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by bvbull200 » September 6th, 2018, 1:55 pm

JKalchik wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 11:50 am
Where are ya'll located?

I'm gonna have to let you know.... building a gravity fed is going to take you longer than you think, unless you've got a professional fab shop. Having said that.... I have Frank's double pan in the back yard that I'm finishing up, and for me, it's the right beast.

What Chromeski said, though.... if you haven't bought yet, hang loose, and beat on Frank. I'd bet you want what he's working on.
I'm near Fort Worth, TX. I do expect it to take some time to build, but I will be working with a guy that has been doing fab work like this (including smokers) for decades. He seems pretty convinced that we can knock it out in a reasonable amount of time. I've gone 5+ years on Ugly Drums, so if I have to wait another month or two for my upgrade, I can deal with that :).

Like I mentioned, nothing bought, yet, except the plans (bought yesterday). If something changes with those, I'm hoping Frank can provide the updated version for us!

With your DP, what makes it the 'right beast'? Is that your go-to backyard smoker? My only concern is if it is too big for regularly doing small-ish cooks. I'm wanting to go big for the times that I need the space, even though really large cooks will be a small percentage of the times it is used. If I cook, say, one brisket and some appetizers, will I find the DP to be more trouble than it is worth for a small cook?



JKalchik
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Posts: 147
Joined: March 29th, 2018, 10:07 am
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Minnesota

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by JKalchik » September 6th, 2018, 2:14 pm

I fell into this gang through the HeaterMeater (open source do-it-yourself controller) folks. What attracted me to the gravity fed smokers was the long smoke & insulated aspects. I live rather north of you (not quite to the Arctic Circle,) and will be using mine year 'round. Fuel usage will be economical whether I smoking a single chicken or a hundred lbs of brisket. It also didn't seem to make much difference if I built the mini or the double pan model in terms of fuel usage, all of the cost difference was up front, but there was a huge difference in how I could utilize it. I've already gone over what I could do in a mini.

This is my only smoker, and I don't anticipate building any more (g/f might show me the door.... if I don't keep smokin' up the good stuff.) I'm also just doing this for me, this is not a business.

I have the space for this beast. Yes, it takes some time to heat up, so be it. It works well for anything from just a single pork loin to a full load.


"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

bvbull200
beginner
beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 9:24 am
Title: Will cook for welds
BBQ Comp Team Name: Pitfaced BBQ
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Contact:

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by bvbull200 » September 6th, 2018, 2:30 pm

JKalchik wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 2:14 pm
I fell into this gang through the HeaterMeater (open source do-it-yourself controller) folks. What attracted me to the gravity fed smokers was the long smoke & insulated aspects. I live rather north of you (not quite to the Arctic Circle,) and will be using mine year 'round. Fuel usage will be economical whether I smoking a single chicken or a hundred lbs of brisket. It also didn't seem to make much difference if I built the mini or the double pan model in terms of fuel usage, all of the cost difference was up front, but there was a huge difference in how I could utilize it. I've already gone over what I could do in a mini.

This is my only smoker, and I don't anticipate building any more (g/f might show me the door.... if I don't keep smokin' up the good stuff.) I'm also just doing this for me, this is not a business.

I have the space for this beast. Yes, it takes some time to heat up, so be it. It works well for anything from just a single pork loin to a full load.
Perfect. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I had it in my head that I was only costing myself a little more investment upfront, but that the larger size wouldn't be cumbersome for smaller cooks. Your experience validates that for me.

I have space, too. Eventually I'll have trailer space for it, too. Then maybe on to other business ventures.

I appreciate the warm welcome and the helpful information. I'll be picking your brain (and others!) plenty more in the coming months.



JKalchik
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Posts: 147
Joined: March 29th, 2018, 10:07 am
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Minnesota

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by JKalchik » September 6th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Heh..... won't take long to pick my brain, there's not much there to pick through.....

If you're looking through the GF forum, mine is the "It's Time" thread. And look at http://chixjeff.dnsalias.net/smoker4 for a little Q-view.


"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

User avatar
Big T
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4945
Joined: September 1st, 2013, 2:40 pm
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys
Location: Lower Alabama

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by Big T » September 6th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Welcome aboard!


Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

User avatar
inkslinger
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder
Posts: 62
Joined: April 22nd, 2017, 9:24 am
Title: Tattoo/Brew/BBQ
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Contact:

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by inkslinger » September 6th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Welcome


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


............
Tattooer / Brewer / BBQer

Chromeski
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Posts: 129
Joined: July 20th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by Chromeski » September 6th, 2018, 8:17 pm

bvbull200 wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 1:47 pm
Chromeski wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 11:40 am
Welcome, I'm in a similar position getting ready to take the plunge on a mini gf. Not sure how committed you are now but Frank is supposed to be releasing a slightly different version of the dp any day now. If you haven't bought materials yet may be best to wait a few days. Either way I'm excited to see what you build.
Are the rubs commercially available now?
Thank you!

The guy I'm working with bought the plans for it yesterday. Maybe Frank can swap us out for the new plans when they release if it's just around the corner? We're trying to get a jump on planning the material acquisition, build-time, etc. We haven't bought anything else, yet.

As for our rubs, they are available! We have just two products right now - our signature Meat Massage and then the Spicy Meat Massage.

I didn't want to spam the forum, but you can see it here:
http://www.pitfacedbbq.com/

I'm but one man trying to run the site in whatever spare time my job, two kids, and wife permit, so don't beat me up too badly on needing some work! ;)
I think the new one is very similar except that it comes on a pallet ready to assemble. I haven't seen it yet so I may be way off. It will just depend mostly on cost and your ability to cut the steel yourself I think. I will check out your site.



Chromeski
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Posts: 129
Joined: July 20th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by Chromeski » September 6th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Ok, I have 1.5lbs of regular and spicy on the way to southern California. Should be here for tomorrow's cook and if a free t shirt ends up in the box a 2x or 3x is prefect



User avatar
Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6894
Joined: January 17th, 2011, 6:30 pm
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by Frank_Cox » September 6th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Welcome aboard!!!
Only since my name was dropped so much in this thread....
Here’s a teaser...
This is what it will ship out ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.



bvbull200
beginner
beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 9:24 am
Title: Will cook for welds
BBQ Comp Team Name: Pitfaced BBQ
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Contact:

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by bvbull200 » September 6th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Chromeski wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 8:24 pm
Ok, I have 1.5lbs of regular and spicy on the way to southern California. Should be here for tomorrow's cook and if a free t shirt ends up in the box a 2x or 3x is prefect
Saw the order and it is already packed and ready to go tomorrow! Alas, I wasn't able to throw in a shirt, but I did manage to sneak a couple of goodies in there.

Thanks a ton for the order. I can't wait to hear what you think of the stuff and, more importantly, see what you cook with it! It's a labor of love that I'm finally able to get in the hands of other BBQ enthusiasts.

I appreciate all of the info, too. I'm not a patient man - I'm dying too get cracking on this thing.



bvbull200
beginner
beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 9:24 am
Title: Will cook for welds
BBQ Comp Team Name: Pitfaced BBQ
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Contact:

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by bvbull200 » September 6th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Frank_Cox wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 9:19 pm
Welcome aboard!!!
Only since my name was dropped so much in this thread....
Here’s a teaser...
This is what it will ship out ...
Thanks a bunch and...WOW.

I had read in one of the other threads that a ready-to-assemble option was going to be available. Looking forward to pricing! That may be the route I go!



bvbull200
beginner
beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 9:24 am
Title: Will cook for welds
BBQ Comp Team Name: Pitfaced BBQ
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Contact:

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by bvbull200 » September 6th, 2018, 10:27 pm

JKalchik wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 5:37 pm
Heh..... won't take long to pick my brain, there's not much there to pick through.....

If you're looking through the GF forum, mine is the "It's Time" thread. And look at http://chixjeff.dnsalias.net/smoker4 for a little Q-view.
Your "It's Time" thread was the proverbial last straw to convince me this was the route to go.

Food looks awesome, too!



Chromeski
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Posts: 129
Joined: July 20th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by Chromeski » September 7th, 2018, 12:45 am

bvbull200 wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 10:24 pm
Chromeski wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 8:24 pm
Ok, I have 1.5lbs of regular and spicy on the way to southern California. Should be here for tomorrow's cook and if a free t shirt ends up in the box a 2x or 3x is prefect
Saw the order and it is already packed and ready to go tomorrow! Alas, I wasn't able to throw in a shirt, but I did manage to sneak a couple of goodies in there.

Thanks a ton for the order. I can't wait to hear what you think of the stuff and, more importantly, see what you cook with it! It's a labor of love that I'm finally able to get in the hands of other BBQ enthusiasts.

I appreciate all of the info, too. I'm not a patient man - I'm dying too get cracking on this thing.
Leaving work now and have the email that it shipped. Extremely fast for a guy that just does it when he can. I was joking about the shirt.



Chromeski
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Posts: 129
Joined: July 20th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by Chromeski » September 7th, 2018, 12:55 am

:BDHorse:
Frank_Cox wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 9:19 pm
Welcome aboard!!!
Only since my name was dropped so much in this thread....
Here’s a teaser...
This is what it will ship out ...
More info needed... how much? And when can I get one? How much to just ship me all the cut metal for the mini or at least the sheet? laser shops are slow at getting me a price and now I gotta see the new one before I start.



User avatar
Pete Mazz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2679
Joined: February 16th, 2013, 8:19 am
Title: Meathead
Location: Bucks County, PA

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by Pete Mazz » September 7th, 2018, 3:43 am

:welcome:


If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

bvbull200
beginner
beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 9:24 am
Title: Will cook for welds
BBQ Comp Team Name: Pitfaced BBQ
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Contact:

Re: What am I getting myself in to?!?!?!

Post by bvbull200 » September 7th, 2018, 9:17 am

Thank you, all!
Chromeski wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 12:45 am
Leaving work now and have the email that it shipped. Extremely fast for a guy that just does it when he can. I was joking about the shirt.
It's not a big, fancy operation, but I'm proud of the product and customer service is one thing I have a lot of control over, so I aim to please as best I can! :D



Post Reply

Return to “Introduce yourself!”