MIG Welder

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
Freiesleben
beginner
beginner

MIG Welder

Post by Freiesleben » October 4th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Hi all,

I live in Denmark and we therefore run either 220 V or 380 V. I thought I had a MIG Welder, but it is an old lady from 1985, and it seems not to be working properly.

So I have seen this on eBay and wanted to know if any of you guys have tried same: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200AMP-MIG-MAG- ... SwL5BZzdgt

I saw a guy from Texas(have been living there myself) who made a review of this eBay welder. And it seems that it made pretty nice welds.

I do expect that I will have to weld in around 1/4 inch steel, so it should be able to take some.

Hope you guys can guide me, I do not want an expensive machine as I will not use it for much more than this smoker project (building an Off-Set smoker) and then minor projects after that.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: MIG Welder

Post by Big T » October 4th, 2017, 9:23 pm

I have never heard of this brand as it isn't sold in the USA so I can't say anything about it. I normally recommend that someone buys the best machine that they can afford because you never know what you'll want to build with it next. I certainly do understand about the budget issue and I have bought low end equipment because it was all I could afford at the time. I bought a really cheap plasma cutter about 4 years ago and it has done really well with my personal projects, it's no where near as nice as the one at my work but it does what I need it to when I need it to. If you decide to get it I would make sure that they have some type of return policy and try it out as soon as you get it so if it doesn't work right you can get your money back. jm2cw

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » October 5th, 2017, 2:35 am

Also you should look at what is available locally. Because if you buy from an overseas vendor you might struggle to get support and spares if the crap hits the fan.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Squiggle » October 5th, 2017, 4:41 am

Couldn't agree more, get the best you can afford & get it locally for the best support & access to consumable parts. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Freiesleben
beginner
beginner

Post by Freiesleben » October 5th, 2017, 8:06 am

Thanks guys, think I will go with a local company as well. I might choose an Inverter instead of a Transformer unit. Much smaller to get around with and should still have some capacity.

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”