Insulation for clone

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
MattJ
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Insulation for clone

Post by MattJ » April 25th, 2017, 6:41 pm

Can the roxul afb mineral wool be used? It is supposed to be good to 2100 degrees. Is there an advantage to using the rigid roxul 80? Also for the stump's clones, has any of you tacked together the inner part welded the seams then framed around it?

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Re: Insulation for clone

Post by ajfoxy » April 25th, 2017, 8:15 pm

You can use mineral wool. Why rigid is a tad more user friendly in that it stays in position without wanting to collapse. You can tack spikes on to hold the mineral wool in place though.
As for building the cook chamber first... that is exactly what I am doing with my mini build. Tack and weld the cook chamber including top and bottom and only then building the frame to fit. When I built the Double Pan I did it as per instructions i.e. frame first then cook chamber. I found that method to be somewhat finicky with a fair amount of bodging to get the cc to fit the frame properly. So definitely you can build the cc first then fit the frame around it. When you build the frame, don't forget to leave out the top end bar (chute end) so you can fit the chute and firebox and then weld the bar in place once the chute etc are in place. Just makes it a lot easier.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert

Post by Weldun » April 25th, 2017, 8:48 pm

When I built my mini I started with the inner top panel,then the firebox side and from there worked my way around counter clockwise. I cut the pieces per actual measurement as I went and by doing so it allowed me to butt the piece to the previously installed panel and overlap the vertical frame tube on the left, which gave me some wiggle room. I installed the bottom last.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » April 26th, 2017, 2:40 am

I built mine FB first as well, I found it a lot easier as I was converting to metric as I went. :kewl:

Also, to add to AJ's advice, I left out the front upright as well so I could weld the inlet pipe in the FB before installing it to the frame, much easier than trying to weld the inlet in later(although you can get a threaded nipple & install the pipe to that later too. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

MattJ
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by MattJ » April 26th, 2017, 4:21 pm

Thanks for the info.

One other question. Does the firebox have to be separate from the charcoal chute? I ask because I found a good deal on a section of 10" tubing and I was thinking of doing it as one piece then build the area for ash pan underneath.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 26th, 2017, 7:54 pm

The chute needs to be small at the top and larger at the bottom to prevent the charcoal from bridging.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » April 27th, 2017, 2:14 am

:yth:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » April 28th, 2017, 9:10 pm

Yes it does, not a good place for cutting corners

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

MattJ
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by MattJ » April 29th, 2017, 11:43 am

I asked because it looks like Humphrey's uses round tube on their reverse flow gravity feeds and wondered if square would work just as good as the round.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » April 29th, 2017, 4:35 pm

Yep, we use a tapered one for preventing bridging in the chute. Round is fine as long as it don't bridge up. The Myron Mixon Vortex GF's also use pipe
:beer:

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Return to “Smoker Clones”