Bottom plate on a gravity feed

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
holyp
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Bottom plate on a gravity feed

Post by holyp » June 14th, 2016, 10:15 am

Hi guys, I've been following the plans, but I have this nagging feeling like I'm doing something wrong.
The bottom plate starting from the FB side is 4 inches flat then 2 inches of decline over the width of the Smoker towards the opposite end then another 4 inches flat where the drain hole is located.
Has anyone had drainage issues, and why not start the incline right from the FB.
I fear that the 4 inches if not properly flat may accumulate fat and can potentially result in grease fire

Thanks,
Amir

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Bottom plate on a gravity feed

Post by ajfoxy » June 14th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Well there you go, I've just finished my bottom plate and I forgot to put the top flat on it. Clearly I am not really good at following plans to the letter... Mine starts diving from the FB end and only flattens out at the other end. Mind you I did put a lip on the sides with the brake to avoid having to weld on the edge.
I don't think it really matters... well I certainly hope not because mine is welded in place. :D
Be interesting to find out the rationale behind the top flat though.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Squiggle » June 15th, 2016, 12:28 am

Yeah I decided against the flat part on the FB side too, I figured that I wouldn't drain properly, but, from my understanding & experience, there won't be much grease as it all usually cooks off in the heat of the CC.

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

holyp

Post by holyp » June 15th, 2016, 12:59 am

I hope it cooks in the heat, last thing I want is a pool of liquid fat near the fire just waiting to ignite. I've had my share of grease fires in my current vertical, usually due to my laziness of not cleaning before/after a cook.
When you see the raging fire, searing your precious meat... Man its a bad feeling.

One of the reasons I went with a gravity feed is because it looks as if the chance of a grease fire is lower with this design

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Return to “Smoker Clones”