gravity feed transfer tube

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
jl170
beginner
beginner

Post by jl170 » May 17th, 2015, 7:09 pm

Hi everyone

When designing a Texas offset reverse flow smoker there seemed to be great science around the opening sizes from firebox to cook chamber and at the end of the baffle plate.

No one seems to have the same concerns with the gravity feed cabinet and looking at builds can see a variation in size of the opening from the firebox into the cook chamber, the length of the tube, the height of the holes from the firebox grate no to mention size / shape of the firebox itself.

Question is, does the size of the transfer tube openings matter? I've not seen anyone mention this and think that as long as there is some common sense applied when keeping in mind airflow that it doesn't matter.

This is the design we've come up with in this area:
smoker_transfer_tube.png
Firebox is rectangular 6" deep, 8" wide, opening will be 6" wide, 3" high, with a grid of half inch square holes.

Take no note of the frame being a little bit short in the corners at the moment...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Re: gravity feed transfer tube

Post by Frank_Cox » May 17th, 2015, 7:33 pm

The shadow plate and the baffle plate combo are a great way to go. I have done this on several of these that I have built. as far as the throat opening goes it depends on the size of your chute burn area and the cook chamber volume. your numbers should work fine. I do recommend a large ash box volume tho. :beer:

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » May 17th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Well, I would have to say, take the guess work out of it and use a proven set of plans like so many others. The price is a small fee which keeps this site up and going. It also comes with tech support http://www.smokerplans.net/index.php?ma ... cts_id=167

Well I didn't see you there OB1

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Smoker Clones”