Gravety feed double pan smoker opinions

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
ponty56

Gravety feed double pan smoker opinions

Post by ponty56 » May 13th, 2015, 7:34 pm

Hey,

So the wife threw a surprise birthday party for me and told the guests to bring donations for a new smoker instead of gifts. So I have been back and fourth and I think the only way I can afford to have a smoker large enough for my needs is to build it. What are your thoughts on the plans for this smoker and how it performs pros and con's please?

http://www.smokerplans.net/index.php...roducts_id=167

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Gravety feed double pan smoker opinions

Post by Rodcrafter » May 14th, 2015, 5:06 am

I don't know what your needs are. That smoker will cook more than most people will need. Do you cook for large groups?

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

ponty56

Post by ponty56 » May 14th, 2015, 5:15 am

It will surve its purpose as a comp rig/cook for friends and family pit. But that's not what I asked. I just would like to hear from those who bought these plans and built this pit. Were the plans well designed and explain everything? What do you like about this rig, what do you dislike? Your experiences pros and con's.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » May 14th, 2015, 9:18 pm

You asked... So here goes.

The double pan is only 2" bigger than mine which was the other set of plans. I am NOT blessed with any special skills in this arena for welding and fabrication. I did make a call or two to Frank to discuss a few things. My GF has incorporated several of the improvements that are now part of the new plans which only improve what is a great smoker.

Regarding performance, it is remarkable in terms of temp control. Once burning I can set the air intake to about 50% closed approx. with a 10-12lb bag of charcoal it burns 8-10 hours at 260. I do not watch the temp vary more than a few degrees and use the ET733 to keep me informed. I've discussed this with a few that have heard it burning in excess of 20 hours.

I did use the full overlapping door which gives me larger than listed sliding trays and uses a refrigerator style slam latch. My 5 trays are about 7" apart with slightly warmer temps mid way to the top. The insulation works perfectly to keep the outer skin almost at ambient outdoor temp except within 3-5 inches of the fire box area. I used regular enamel paint for the entire cooker and it looks great with no sign of color change from overexposure from heat anywhere. Self adhesive Nomex gasketing makes sealing it a breeze.

If anything was explained poorly, I'd think it was my misunderstanding something rather than being poorly written. My discussions with Frank did clarify some design changes that are likely now utilized in the double pan plans. My internet smoking friends are always here willing to offer ideas and suggestions for a question.

As for cons...THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION. It's a big smoker, bigger than my 275 trailer mounted RF. it takes up some sq footage in my garage that I could use elsewhere. I cannot move it because of its weight. It probably weighs 725+ lbs. my 8" caster wheels are foam filled and wide profile to move it over my gravel roads around our property but I can't do that. It is hard to move around on my smooth concrete garage floor with these wheels due to excessive drag. Maybe solid or steel would be better on other paved or concrete surfaces.

I am so impressed with this plan. I am waiting for the plans to come out for the baby sized one and will not think twice about ordering them. My 275 plans were met with the same terrific support from the site and the guys here. You could go and order a factory made $5000.00 unit but while I can't actually compare the two, I am very very happy with my monster smoker.
How's that?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

ponty56

Post by ponty56 » May 17th, 2015, 7:02 pm

That's very detailed and to the point! I've been cooking on a cheep store bought offset for a while now. I can produce some darn good que on it too, but I live in the Midwest were it gets cold and I like to sleep as well. I would have liked more detail from a few more people but yours was well done. Thanks for taking the time to let a fellow BBQ'er know its definitely worth it.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 17th, 2015, 9:38 pm

These are from a test burn as I was finishing the smoker....good luck
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

ponty56

Post by ponty56 » May 18th, 2015, 8:10 pm

Thanks Puff could you send me a link to your build I'd like to study it a bit!

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 18th, 2015, 8:22 pm

One of my mistakes is posting the progress under 20 different headings....so they are all over the place. The consistent parts are they ALL have Gravity Feed in the title so any search with gravity feed in the header will likely lead you to the pictures and extensive narrative. ;)

My next build will be posted all under the same heading. And the title will probably be "BABY SIZED GRAVITY FEED BUILD". I just don't know when I'll be starting those posts...do I Frank? ( so , glad Frank has a good sense of humor =)) )
Last edited by Puff on May 18th, 2015, 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hoser
beginner
beginner

Post by Hoser » May 18th, 2015, 8:37 pm

I'm new here and glad I found this place, and Frank can add me to the list of folks waiting for the "baby gravity feed" plans to come out :BDHorse: My build most likely wont start until next winter, gotta get the shop built this summer :bigfoot:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 18th, 2015, 8:41 pm

Hello Hoser,

I'll be looking out for your posts as well, welcome .

I am hoping to add a bending brake to get a pretty skin on it. I was never really happy with the big one and the finished corners

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 19th, 2015, 5:10 am

No Puff, I could come up there and get that old big GF out of your way. You know so you could have room to work on your new one.

Lol

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » May 19th, 2015, 5:52 am

That's one heck of a nice gesture RC! It's good to have friends. =))

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 19th, 2015, 8:05 am

Right? Just trying to help, you know it's heavy and I like heavy.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 19th, 2015, 7:32 pm

Wow! I knew I had some nice internet friends out there. Ya know you gotta be able to take a poke in the ribs here once in a while...or maybe the butt =))

Oops, that sounded bad
Last edited by Puff on May 19th, 2015, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 19th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Lol

Hoser
beginner
beginner

Post by Hoser » May 19th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Thanks Puff,

With the baby version, a guy should be able to get by with a smaller 4' brake, good thinking!! Maybe find someone that could bend you up some pieces of stainless or diamond plate and use 2 sided tape to cover up the corners?? It's amazing how strong that 2 sided tape is and how much it's used in skinning trailers and the like.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 19th, 2015, 11:06 pm

I have this quirk... I'll ask about the process to learn but I never ask anyone to do something I should be able to do on my own. This is NJ, probably the most densely populated state in the country. There are loads of sheet metal guys here that can probably do these ...but it goes against my grain. Can you imagine how thick headed those people are?

You're right on that double sided tape. The right one is better than screws. I used it on an outdoor sign about 4'x6' and it's been hanging over 7 years. I did not know that's how the skinned a trailer.

I've been searching the Internet for plans to make a brake. I've seen several but they lack some details I would need to build it successfully.still looking

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 20th, 2015, 6:05 am

I think Pit Doctor posted the process for making an small brake.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 20th, 2015, 9:13 pm

Going to search for that right now....thanks RC!

EDIT: if course every search shows ZERO

EDIT AGAIN: found it! http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... ake#p59908

Return to “Smoker Clones”