Converting an electric smoker?

Also called Stump's Clone.
Peaksy
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Converting an electric smoker?

Post by Peaksy » May 23rd, 2019, 12:17 am

Do you guys think it would be possible or worth the effort to convert an old electronic cabinet smoker to a Gravity Feed?

It's just down the road from me, and if it's possible, might be a cost effective way to upgrade to a GF. Current asking price is $AU250 (about USD 170)
IMG_1892.JPG
IMG_1893.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peaksy
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: Converting an electric smoker?

Post by Peaksy » May 23rd, 2019, 12:43 am

IMG_1892.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » May 23rd, 2019, 1:12 am

I'd say it is possible. At the end of the day all you are adding would be the chute, firebox and transfer tube. Naturally you'd have to insulate those as well. In effect you'd be starting off with the cook chamber and have to add the rest. Presumably the current electric smoker is reasonably well insulated?

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Peaksy
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Peaksy » May 23rd, 2019, 3:58 am

I'm assuming its insulated, I'm not sure how big it is, but it ran/runs off 3 phase power, so it's probably pretty large. I don't think I could buy the materials for the cook chamber for that price.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » May 23rd, 2019, 9:37 am

Definately possible but not sure it would be reasonable. The added parts are pretty heavy and you have no way of knowing where it if any supports are there to tie into. But, as always, it depends on how much time you want to devote to the the project.

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”