BP gap

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
MattJ
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

BP gap

Post by MattJ » May 1st, 2019, 8:47 am

I have seen that the bp gap can be up to 25% smaller than the throat. What is the impact of making it smaller?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: BP gap

Post by towtruck » May 1st, 2019, 9:31 am

It can create a restriction that will change the air flow. If the bp gap is too small the air will be moving faster to get through that spot and make the temps uneven in the cc. Most likely it would only happen when running the pit at higher temps. When the pit is running lower the air flow into the fb is less than when wide open so the difference in bp gap size won't be noticed too much.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 1st, 2019, 5:20 pm

:yth: choking the BP gap is sort of like putting your finger over the end of the water hose, it speeds up the airflow. I make the BP and Throat the same but if I was going to do anything different, I would make it adjustable so that I could dial it in to where I wanted. You don't have to have an elaborate adjuster, just some simple way to bolt something to the end of your grease dam to close the gap some and if it didn't work then you just unbolt it and go to the same size opening.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » May 3rd, 2019, 1:45 pm

In theory, it would also increase the temps on the baffle plate. It would, in my opinion, heat up the bottom of the chamber and increase the temp swing from top to bottom.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”