Help Mounting Tank to Trailer

Forum questions and assistance
RandyB
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Help Mounting Tank to Trailer

Post by RandyB » June 20th, 2016, 6:02 pm

Trying to plan the mounting. I have the 90 degree brackets that the wood boards for the boat were mounted to. I plan on getting some rectangular steel and those brackets to the the steel tubing and then to the tank. I've been looking for pictures of trailer brackets 101 for dummies and can't find them. I'm capable, but just slow. :help:

I plan to cut about 14" off the rear of the trailer and weld the rear cross-member forward (shorten the rear of the trailer basically) so that the rear cross-member can be cut and welded to the FB sides above the dampers. The FB would be the longest part of the trailer by about 15".

Also, I plan to mount the tank in the center instead of off to a side, am I gonna regret that?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Help Mounting Tank to Trailer

Post by Big T » June 20th, 2016, 11:33 pm

I just in put 2 cross members , 1 near the front of the CC and 1 right in front of the FB and cut some short legs from channel or tubing with an angle on the ends to meet the CC. You could just tie the rear cross member to the FB if you wanted. If you're building something with heavy doors you may want to offset it so that you aren't trying to lift the doors with you arms extended. You can use a counter weight to help out with heavy doors but I like to be able to pull my grates out and be able to comfortably reach the back of them. The things that you mentioned are personal preference and don't affect the performance of the cooker so there's not really a wrong way of doing it if it works for you.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

RandyB

Post by RandyB » June 21st, 2016, 10:01 am

Big T wrote:I just in put 2 cross members , 1 near the front of the CC and 1 right in front of the FB and cut some short legs from channel or tubing with an angle on the ends to meet the CC. You could just tie the rear cross member to the FB if you wanted. If you're building something with heavy doors you may want to offset it so that you aren't trying to lift the doors with you arms extended. You can use a counter weight to help out with heavy doors but I like to be able to pull my grates out and be able to comfortably reach the back of them. The things that you mentioned are personal preference and don't affect the performance of the cooker so there's not really a wrong way of doing it if it works for you.
Thanks. I was looking for someone to hold my hand...One of those moments where I was scratching my head and thinking "what next"? I got a plan now. I do appreciate your reply!! Onwards!!!

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » June 21st, 2016, 10:38 am

This is one example;

I used the same supports when I moved it to a trailer.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 21st, 2016, 7:03 pm

:yth:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “Questions?”