Thinking about trying Backyard Comp.

All about Competition BBQ.
RibRat
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Thinking about trying Backyard Comp.

Post by RibRat » November 2nd, 2014, 3:31 pm

One of my friends approached me this past weekend about taking a stab at a Backyard class BBQ competition next summer.
problem being neither of us know where to start.i see Kcbs requires wood or charcoal smokers. so i guess we need to start there I currently have a propane and he has an electic. how big of a unit would i need to do a backyard class? there is a kcbs comp near us in late july i believe? does kcbs even have a backyard class? does the comp supply the meat or do we? any and all input would be helpful.

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Re: Thinking about trying Backyard Comp.

Post by Smokeone » November 2nd, 2014, 5:52 pm

A backyard comp is a great way to start. Kcbs doesn't have a backyard class, but some comps will run one at the same time. Kcbs comps you provide your own meat, but other comps sometimes provide the meat.

As for a cooker, maybe start with a UDS. Lots of guys cook kcbs with them, and win. They are a quick and easy build. The best advise I can give is to try to find a team to tag along with. If you can't find one, maybe just go check out a few comps, bbq cooks are usually pretty friendly.

If you post where you are located, they're just might be someone close to you on here that will lend a hand.

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

RibRat
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Thinking about trying Backyard Comp.

Post by RibRat » November 2nd, 2014, 6:54 pm

Thanks for the input Smokeone i will update my location now.

Return to “Competition BBQ Corner”