I wanna build a fire pit!

Camping and Backyard Fire Rings
El Gato
Expert
Expert
Title: HKU university
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by El Gato » November 16th, 2013, 5:16 pm

I am lookin to build a fire pit for my wife.
She has been after me to buy one at lowes, I SAY HELL NO!!! I can build it!!( or i hope i can)

In building a fire pit, what thickness of material is good to use, with out over doing it for
the weight issue of cant move it later,
Do i need to put a breather area in the bottom of it for air?? or not? ( like the firebox for smokers?)

im thinking of a 3ftx3ft size maybe 20in of the floor and a square pan for the fire about approx 10in deep,

Any suggestions?/ ideas?? IM LISTENING!!!!!
too bad no one has plans for these.
I pm'ed some one here on the forum, and got no response, they probably havent seen the got a pm.

hopefully i am posting this in the right place,

El Gato

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: I wanna build a fire pit!

Post by Puff » November 16th, 2013, 6:21 pm

From the commercial decorative fire pits I have seen at Lowe's it looks as though there are about 16 gauge metal they likely need to have a drain hole in the bottom and my friend has one that lasted him about 6 years and could have been longer but the ash clogged his dish style and it rotted away quickly Mine is probably 14 gauge and we have had it 8 years. The door screens are starting to thin out. Exhaust is out thru the top, a small stainless cap... In the winter, I store those led lanterns inside it. Heres what it looks like
image.jpg
Probably 30 wide by 20 deep and 26 tall
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 16th, 2013, 9:00 pm

TQ put some pictures on here about a week or so ago of a couple of fire pits that he built. I think you can get some Ideas from them, there were a couple of pics of the inside of them.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

El Gato
Expert
Expert
Title: HKU university
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by El Gato » November 16th, 2013, 10:21 pm

im searchin for them, thanks

noXcuse
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by noXcuse » November 16th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Dig a hole in the dirt about 12" deep, 4' around, and put some decorative stones around it. Done.

-----
Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx™

The Czar
Founder
Founder
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » November 16th, 2013, 10:58 pm

If have to say I just take the fire basket out if my UDS and add a chimney of hot charcoal and just keep throwing chucks on that till I'm done with the fire.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » November 17th, 2013, 8:00 am

I would highly recommend a 3-legged device no matter which way you go. You really want them stable regardless where you use them.

I know it defeats the purpose of designing/building a new project but I bought one from Target and drilled out all the rivets and replaced them with bolts so the panels would sort of "hinge". That way I could fold the whole thing back up and put it back in the box and store it in my camper for camping trips. I think the whole project costs about $40. If someone will remind me on March 14th at the Kearney Comp I'll fire it up and shoot some pics of it.

Course some of the fire-pits I've seen on here are really high class creations - specially if you have a plasma cutter ...

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Return to “Fire Rings/ Cowboy Cookin”