Defining Chimney length

Modifications to any Smoker you can purchase. examples- Brinkman, Weber, etc.
Gronk

Defining Chimney length

Post by Gronk » March 28th, 2016, 7:01 pm

Hi everyone,
I scored an Oklahoma Joe...which was probably the first ones that were the closest to the original quality of the Oklahoma Joe that wasn't cheapened up right away after CharBroil bought them out. I gabbed it for a 100 bucks, and it has never been used . it was kept outside, half heartedly covered,and has a little surface rust as well as surface rust on the inside. It also has an ash pan that is fairly rusty and showing signs of decay, since it held the water from the rain and snow. That part is irrelevant at this point, since I had a fabrication shop already roll me a piece of 3/16 inch steel to fit over the hole in the bottom of the firebox and I'm going to weld it up and eliminate the ash box anyway. I also want to do some modifications to it to seal it up as air tight as I can, maybe some kind of tuning plates as well to control heat. My question is I did the calcs with the formula I found on your website for making sure my air intake, firebox to the cooking chamber size was good, as well as the chimney length. The formula states I need about 45 inches of chimney. My question is do you consider the length of the cooking Chamber as part of the chimney system, with the piece of 3" pipe, or just the 3" pipe that comes out the side, that I plan on elbowing down on the inside of he smoker, to the top of the cooking surface?. Thanks for your input.
If "smoking" is gonna kill me, I hope I have a belly full of good BBQ when it does!

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Defining Chimney length

Post by Rodcrafter » March 28th, 2016, 7:18 pm

Only the portion of the stack Thais on the outside of the CC is what counts. You can shorten it by using larger pipe.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Smoker MODs”