Theoretical Weber Q100 Grill Modification for Smoking

Modifications to any Smoker you can purchase. examples- Brinkman, Weber, etc.
DougW

Theoretical Weber Q100 Grill Modification for Smoking

Post by DougW » June 29th, 2013, 2:21 pm

Hi:

This is my first post. I camp quite a bit, and my camping trips include fishing. I use a small Weber Q100 for all grilling, and an electric frying pan to cook fish. What I would like to make is an electric firebox to suspend (using the Q100 cart legs) under my Q100 that would allow me to smoke small quantities of fish/meat. The Q100 has a hole in the bottom of the grill thru which drippings fall into a catch tray suspended under the gril. See review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugasazYsCWY and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5vhVoy7R20

I am hoping that the hole would allow enough hot smoke to enter the grill to get the job done. I believe that the single 8500 watt propane burner is too close to the cast iron grill to install deflector plates. I sometimes use a small CharBroil cast iron smoker box http://www.charbroil.com/cast-iron-smoker-box.html placed directly on the grill in one corner or the unit to add smoke flavor to meats, and I could potentially use this in conjunction with an electric element heater to produce smoke while providing a source of heat.

So, I was think of a vented box or can with a door suspended underneath and a short exhaust pipe between it and the grill which would allow heat and smoke to go up and drippings to fall in the catch tray which I would place on a wire shelf inside the firebox. Below that would be the electric burner upon which I could place the cast iron box with soaked wood chips.

I prpbably would have to fabricate some metal "doors" that would fit on each side of the grill itself to control heat & smoke loss thru these gaps. I could incorporate a thermometer on one of these or drill a hole into the top of the grill for a thermometer. I also could fabricate a slide control mechanim on one or both of these to control the exhaust.

Thanks for looking. I am open to suggestions.

DougW

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Theoretical Weber Q100 Grill Modification for Smoking

Post by Gizmo » July 2nd, 2013, 6:04 am

Welcome Doug! Sounds like you been thinking this one over for a while. :D

Personally I would develop a working smoke generator you were happy with first - then hook it to a cold box (like a cardboard box or other cheap enclosure) that you can experiment with some fish and flavorings. Sort of work your way into this so you know it tastes good at each step. Once you have a working (MaGuver version) then copy your own work into a permanent one you can easily pack with your camping/fishing gear. I wouldn't double-duty the Weber for smoking/grilling - I'm afraid clean-up would be a nightmare… :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

The Czar
Founder
Founder
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: Theoretical Weber Q100 Grill Modification for Smoking

Post by The Czar » July 2nd, 2013, 6:29 am

Welcome and I like the way your thinking Rick....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Return to “Smoker MODs”