What size chimney?

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Mountain Mike
beginner
beginner

What size chimney?

Post by Mountain Mike » August 21st, 2017, 2:44 pm

OK guys I'm drawing out a reverse flow vertical smoker. The CC will be 18x22x21H. The FB will be 20x22x9H. I'm laying out what I have so far and let me know if you see any problems. It will have 2" of insulation. The FB will have two 2" inlets. I would assume I could cap one of these when it came to temp and run the unit off one 2" ball valve. The raceways from the FB to CC will be 1x18 exiting 4" from the top of the CC. The chimney opening will be 4" above the water pan. My question is what size chimney would be best? It will made from rectangular tubing. I really don't see any calculators for a reverse cabinet. If anyone has any way to figure this with math or experience let me know. Thanks

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Re: What size chimney?

Post by Pete Mazz » August 21st, 2017, 3:30 pm

For that size smoker I would go electric if you're not traveling . If you're doing charcoal or not, no sense doing reverse flow anyway . There are no calcs for verticals . For an insulated vertical of that size you won't need many BTUS.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Mountain Mike
beginner
beginner

Post by Mountain Mike » August 21st, 2017, 4:25 pm

So no benefit in doing reverse? t would be a charcoal smoker. It would be an easier build if reverse is not a benefit. So what size chimney?

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » August 22nd, 2017, 5:34 am

6 or 8 sq in is plenty. Verticals don't really need a stack , a slot in the upper back is fine. Add a damper of some sort to close down. I used a wide piano hinge.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » August 22nd, 2017, 6:29 am

I was wondering if you would post the drawing? I'm losing some stuff with the terms raceway and it seems like the FB is way too big. pictures will help the slow minded like myself.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Squiggle » August 24th, 2017, 3:21 am

:yth:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Return to “Smoker Clones”