Single VS Double Pan

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Eeny
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Reservoir Hogs

Single VS Double Pan

Post by Eeny » March 10th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Hi Folks,
I have the single pan gravity fed plans, but the more I think about it the more I wonder If I'll end up wishing I'd built the double pan. Question I have before I buy a second set of plans is how much bigger is the double pan?
Is it just a bigger cook chamber to allow for 2 pans to fit or is the firebox etc larger too? just trying to visualize how big the beast is!
Also, on a related note, I'm, trying to convert the plans to metric, struggling to find whatever 3/4 911 expanded mesh is, I'm assuming 3/4 is the hole size (so around 18mm) but not sure what 911 equates to, I'm guessing thickness, but all the information I can find is measure in ga, is it referring to 9ga (about 3mm)?

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Single VS Double Pan

Post by ajfoxy » March 10th, 2017, 3:58 pm

I have a double pan and have plans for a single pan mini. Trust me the double pan is quite a bit bigger. It all depends on how many people you want to feed with it. I built mine mainly for my future son in law who has a restaurant. So he needed it quite large. If you are only going to use it for family and friends I'd guess the single pan would be totally adequate. Squiggle runs a restuarant/eatery on a single pan mini. Maybe he can chime in with more information in this regards.
Whichever one you build, they are amazing machines. Very stable heat output and go for a very long time on a load of fuel.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » March 11th, 2017, 5:22 am

My buddy built this double pan and he's a 6 footer.
Finished (Medium).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » March 11th, 2017, 5:41 am

I think the single pan & the mini are two different smokers as there is one size in between.

My mini does me well for my restaurant as I only have small capacity & ive been running it two to three times a week, but if the demand increases much more then I'll definitely be building a double pan. I can probably do about 9 butts, or 9 racks of spares(I get the butcher to leave the belly on so they are much bigger), or 18 baby backs. You can definitely feed a fair few people with the mini.

In regards to the size difference, everything is bigger on the double pan compared to the mini, I'm not sure about the next size up compare to the double pan.

This is my mini. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

MattJ
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by MattJ » March 12th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Guys, I think he wants to know if he can upsize his cook chamber with the same size firebox as the plans that he has.

KarateDoc
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Doc's Kick Butt BBQ, Not competing yet...

Post by KarateDoc » March 12th, 2017, 7:45 pm

I have the single plans build and mad a few changes to fit double pans side to side and front to back. It works fine. Take a look at my build in my signature.

Looks at a piece of meat and wonders how many ways can I smoke that.

Here is my build of the Stump's Clone viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5280

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » March 13th, 2017, 7:19 pm

I've spoken to Frank about this & he says you can upsize the CC by about 25% without having to increase the FB, we were talking about the mini but I got the impression he was talking about all the GF sizes he's made plans for. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » March 13th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Yep, Squiggle, you got it bro!

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

buco2218
beginner
beginner

Post by buco2218 » March 14th, 2017, 8:48 am

What is the approximate size difference between the mini and the single? How many racks of baby backs, briskets, or butts will each hold? Also, pros and cons for each size? Any and all information is welcome as I plan my first build.

Return to “Smoker Clones”