Is there a non-insulated vertical cabinet design?

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
jd-santaclarita

Is there a non-insulated vertical cabinet design?

Post by jd-santaclarita » October 8th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Hi all - I just found this forum which is amazing. I've been itching to upgrade from UDS to something nicer. Had my eye on the insulated vertical cabinets, but the cost has been holding me back as I also want to upgrade my grill and add a santa maria pit to the arsenal. Anyhow, my main question is if there is a non-insulated design out there worth looking at. My thought is that I am in Socal, so cold is not really a concern most of the time. If I went with heavier gauge metal all around, would it be substantially easier to build. My welding skills are noob level at best and I have very sparse time to dedicate to the project. I'm a 'maker' at heart, so I love the idea of building my own vs buying one. Is there such a simple design out there or am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

Thanks,
JD

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Is there a non-insulated vertical cabinet design?

Post by Rodcrafter » October 8th, 2016, 4:38 pm

Welcome to the crew!

There's always a way to get different ideas done. My GF cabinet isn't insulated either so even those can be done. Insulation will make things much more efficient though. You know an UDS works so well because it is thin. It doesn't have to heat that cold mass of steel like some other cookers. If you're going to put the FB directly under the CC like an UDS then you may want to keep it sorta thin and continue using mostly charcoal. If you want to use sticks you may want to make it an offset FB so you can allow some of the heat to transfer through the top of the FB. Just a beginning idea or two.

But yes it can work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Smoker Clones”