Anybody built 2" thick doors? Put hinges on opposite side?

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
billyc1030
beginner
beginner

Anybody built 2" thick doors? Put hinges on opposite side?

Post by billyc1030 » October 3rd, 2016, 5:35 am

When I bought the steel to build 2 Double Pan GF smokers, I bought all the square tubing in 2x2" 16 gauge. In the plans, the three doors call for 1 3/4 x 1 3/4" 14 gauge tube. I'm sure I've read on here somewhere that 2x2 works fine, but I can't find that now.

Has anybody used 2x2 on the doors, and would you do it again? The only issue I've come up with so far is that I may have to add about a 1/4" spacer behind the slam latch catch that came in the kit, as it will probably be just beyond its adjustment range.

I've cut all the 2x2 tubing for the doors and stuffed it all with insulation, but I haven't welded it yet - so there's still time to switch to 1 3/4" if there's a good reason to. I have to go back to the metal shop this week anyway.

Separate question - has anybody hinged the door on the other side (right side, or firebox side, per the plans)? I realize I'd have to add a bracket for the catch on the left side, but that's easy. I'm putting the air intake on the ash door, so I'm not worried about the door swinging into it. The reason I'm thinking about doing this is because we will eventually mount the 2 smokers side-by-side on a trailer, so we're building them as reverse images of each other (with ash doors on opposite ends). We'd like both doors to swing out from the center. I think this would look sharp and would facilitate rotating meats between the smokers, without having to go around the doors. We plan to have a gap between the smokers, probably filled in by a trim plate, painted to match the smokers. This will facilitate having the latch catches on that side of the respective smokers. Even if we hinge the doors per plan, we'll have to space the smokers apart so that both doors can open at the same time.

Thanks!
Billy

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Anybody built 2" thick doors? Put hinges on opposite sid

Post by ajfoxy » October 4th, 2016, 5:44 am

The doors on my double pan GF are 2". I did them that way mainly because that is what insulation I had. I did put three barrel hinges on the door because it was really heavy. I don't see any issue with 2" doors at all.
My door opens with the hinges on the edge so the opening is firebox side. I put a 4mm plate in the door and on the frame to handle the slam latch and striker.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Return to “Smoker Clones”