We're Building Two Double Pan GF Smokers

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
billyc1030
beginner
beginner

We're Building Two Double Pan GF Smokers

Post by billyc1030 » September 28th, 2016, 12:05 am

My cooking partner and I are building two of the double pan GF smokers at the same time. We'll each have one at our respective houses for now, but eventually we will build a trailer to hold both, along with a grill, sinks, etc. It'll be our new competition and catering rig.

Here's our current stable of smokers, all built from propane tanks (120, 100 and 250 gallon, from left to right):

Here's the little over a ton of steel we had delivered:

Here's all the 2x2 cut. The chop saw from Northern Tool has proven to be worth every penny for this job (as has my plasma cutter for cutting all the sheet steel):

We decided to build them as mirror images of each other, since they'll eventually go on a trailer next to each other - the ash doors will be on opposite ends:

We're mostly building to plan, with a couple of minor deviations. We're doing slide out charcoal grates for example:

We also welded 4x4 plates directly to the frame on each corner (We'll cut out the bottom panel to fit around them). We drilled and tapped those plates and bolted the top plates from the leg assemblies to them. That will allow us to take the legs off or install different length legs later when we mount the smokers on a trailer.

I was bummed about having to buy a 20 foot stick of channel for the two short pieces, but I'm glad we did:

We just got the first one on its wheels tonight:

We've already built the charcoal chute/firebox assemblies, and we've cut all the 16 gauge sheet, so hopefully the build will start going faster now.

holyp
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Re: We're Building Two Double Pan GF Smokers

Post by holyp » September 28th, 2016, 1:03 am

Good luck, looks like you're on top of it, and blazing through the steps

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » September 28th, 2016, 3:57 am

Well done. you are powering through the build. Looks the goods. :beer:

On a build note (and I only mention this as it came back to bite me on my build) it might be a good idea to take out the top end piece so you can slide your charcoal chute-firebox-etc in from the rear. Not a game-breaker but a whole heap easier than building it all insitu.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » September 28th, 2016, 4:25 am

Welcome to the crew!

You guys are going to have a lot of capacity with these bad boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » September 28th, 2016, 5:32 am

:LG: :LG: :LG:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

billyc1030
beginner
beginner

Post by billyc1030 » September 28th, 2016, 10:19 am

ajfoxy wrote:Well done. you are powering through the build. Looks the goods. :beer:

On a build note (and I only mention this as it came back to bite me on my build) it might be a good idea to take out the top end piece so you can slide your charcoal chute-firebox-etc in from the rear. Not a game-breaker but a whole heap easier than building it all insitu.

Thanks for the comment. We haven't welded the charcoal chutes to the firebox/charcoal pan assembly yet - my thought was that we'd get those in place on the frame and weld them together. If that proves too difficult, then we'll cut out the 2x2s.

billyc1030
beginner
beginner

Post by billyc1030 » September 28th, 2016, 10:38 am

Here are two other mods we're planning. I think these are largely personal preference, but if anyone has a good argument against either of them, let me know.

1. Air intake in the ash door. I really like the look of a smooth front (still talking smokers here). I plan to weld a 1.5" pipe coupler through the door and thread a Guru adapter right into it. I don't see the need for a ball valve since we don't plan to cook manually, but we can always add them later if we change our minds.

2. A drippings catch pan instead of a drain valve. We plan to do a slide in SS half pan under the smoker cabinet/drain pipe (like I believe the Stumps smokers use).

BTW, thanks to everyone that has posted here about their builds. I've been reading this forum for a few months as we've been planning these builds. I've picked up a lot of great ideas along the way - especially little things that are much easier to plan in on the front end, like welding in extra metal under the skin to reinforce the slam latch and catch.

Billy C
Smoke-N-Shine
http://www.smoke-n-shine.com
http://www.facebook.com/SmokeNShine

billyc1030
beginner
beginner

Post by billyc1030 » September 28th, 2016, 10:48 am

BTW, if anybody near northern VA is planning a build and needs a piece of the C10X15.3 channel for the transfer tube, we'll sell you some at the price we paid for the 20' stick, prorated to what you need.

We paid about $212 for the stick (306 lbs worth). By my math, that would be just over $28 for about 32" of it.

billyc1030
beginner
beginner

Post by billyc1030 » September 28th, 2016, 10:09 pm

We made a little more progress today. I've starting tacking in the interior panels in mine. The firebox/ash box and charcoal chute are just setting in place for now, but they're ready to be welded together and to the frame as soon as I get that right interior panel in. My friend is about a day behind me on his - he was finishing up the firebox and charcoal chute and working on the legs tonight.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » September 29th, 2016, 2:44 am

:LG:
On reflection the only reason I had to cut out the back strut to fit the chute-firebox-transfer tube in was that I had bent up my cook chamber steel in one piece so there was no room to weld the bits together. Where as you are doing it as per the plan with separate bits for the cook chamber. It is indeed looking good and you are going at a way faster pace than I did.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » September 29th, 2016, 5:00 am

Looks awesome dude, making some serious progress there! :beer:

The only problem I can see with not having a valve on the inlet is that I believe you need to be able to close the inlet down to just below what you need so when the fan turns off the temp will go down. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

billyc1030
beginner
beginner

Post by billyc1030 » October 1st, 2016, 5:57 am

Squiggle wrote:Looks awesome dude, making some serious progress there! :beer:

The only problem I can see with not having a valve on the inlet is that I believe you need to be able to close the inlet down to just below what you need so when the fan turns off the temp will go down. :kewl:

Good point. We'll try cooking on them with no valve and if they seem like they're having a hard time keeping the temp down, I may try a valve. I guess I could also try shutting the sliding valve on the Guru fan down a little (I think I have the Pit Viper). I'd be surprised if there's not enough flow resistance once the fan shuts down to maintain temp control though. But I've never cooked on a GF, and I've never used my Guru on anything other than my 22.5" WSM (it maintains that one really well, with no valve). I've been using QMaster temp controllers on my 250 and 100 gallon offset stick burners, and the fan adapters that come with them have a check valve in them.

Billy

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » October 1st, 2016, 6:59 am

Ok cool, hopefully it all goes well. I'm interested to know the result for when I get my CyberQ. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » October 1st, 2016, 12:26 pm

I have a valve on mine and the cyber Q , one thing is when you're done cooking the only off button is the valve. I mean you don't want to leave your fan on the rig all the time, right? Especially if you're loading and unloading you could damage the fan unit. But that valve is tough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Smoker Clones”