Double Pan GF Build - and so it begins

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Double Pan GF Build - and so it begins

Post by ajfoxy » August 26th, 2016, 6:25 am

I'm using Argon/CO2/O2 E size bottle from Hare and Forbes. I think it is more my limited welding skills than the gas.
One of the family suggested I paint it cammo that way it is difficult to see where the warp is... :-)
Anyway not a real major. I am starting the main door this weekend so hopefully that goes to plan. Whereabouts on the door is the best place to put the door thermometer?

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » August 26th, 2016, 3:29 pm

All good, I put mine between the top & middle shelf. :beer:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » September 11th, 2016, 1:28 am

And another chapter in the never-ending (seemingly) saga of the Double Pan GF build. Got the cook chamber door fabricated and installed. Installed the slam latch on the cook chamber door. I definitely think before I start the next one (a mini) I'll get my shit together in regard to welding. All this grinding and distortion are driving me to drink... wait I'm there already... so maybe a tad further down the road. :-)
The door is so heavy I put three barrel hinges on... the whole smoker is definitely moving to the heavyweight division.

Anyway enough waffle, here are some more pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » September 11th, 2016, 4:49 am

Looks awesome dude! :kewl:

Love the rack slides, very cool. I will get myself a plasma table one day.

Just wondering, are those inflatable tyres going to hold the weight & any heat? Wouldn't want to get a blowout in the middle of a cook! :o

If I was still in Brissy I would love to cruz over & check it out, I could give you a few welding pointers as well, best I can do from here is recommend watching as many YouTube vids as you can. :D

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Double Pan GF Build - and so it begins

Post by Rodcrafter » September 11th, 2016, 7:20 am

Squiggle,
The temp won't ever bother them because the cooker won't get hot at all on the bottom. That doesn't mean those tires will work inflatable or not. They will make it hard to move around, because they will be maxed out.

Either case it's going to be a great smoker. You keep welding, you will get better. Even if you were in a class, you would have to practice. Keep up the good work.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » September 11th, 2016, 8:16 pm

Thanks Squiggle, it would have been great to have you come round to check it out and give advice and welding pointers...
And the plasma table certainly does help cutting all the parts out for this smoker. It was a project many years ago when my brother gave me an old oxy profile cutter rails and gantry. From there it grew and grew until it just about filled my shed.
Alsmost getting to the stage where I now want to rebuild it to improve it. But I don't think I will. Too many other projects.

Rodcrafter: Thanks for the encourgement. The wheel are rated for 250 kg each, but I think I must be getting to the upper limits with this thing. I might swop the pneumatics out for solid wheels... I'll see. Fortunately apart from the racks I don't thing much more weight will get added. Apart from all the meat going in that is... :-)
And it is hard to move around as is. One of the reasons for the larger wheels is that this has to move across an uneven lawn to cook and then back under cover afterwards. Small solid casters would most likely have dug in.
I think the next one (a mini) will be a lot easier to move around. Unless of course Frank lets us have plans for the Mack, in which case that would be the next and it would go on a trailer... No pressure Frank anytime in the next couple of weeks will do :D

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » September 19th, 2016, 1:28 am

Finally finished the bastard! Got the cook chamber seasoned and a couple of coats of paint put on. It will need another two coats next weekend. And hopefully next Monday we will have some Q. And there will be pics, my oath there will be pics. This project has been all consuming for the last couple of months. There were times I could have walked away... but glad I stayed and finished it. Anyway enough waffling and here are the last couple of pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

holyp
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by holyp » September 19th, 2016, 2:02 am

Looks great, definitely ready for maiden voyage. What size bars did you use for the racks?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » September 19th, 2016, 2:24 am

Thanks holyp. I had the racks made up... way beyond my limited welding expertise. The outside and support cross bars were 9 mm and the normal bars were 5 mm.
All in stainless. A bit overkill, but I got tired of running around looking for expanded metal without handing over my kidney or firsborn. Naturally once I ordered the racks the metal merchants suddenly found a stock of them... but that was too late.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » September 19th, 2016, 4:33 am

Very nice!!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

KarateDoc
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Doc's Kick Butt BBQ, Not competing yet...

Post by KarateDoc » September 19th, 2016, 8:02 am

Look great, definitely want to see some q pics. I am on the home stretch on mine.

Looks at a piece of meat and wonders how many ways can I smoke that.

Here is my build of the Stump's Clone viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5280

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » September 19th, 2016, 9:13 pm

:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » September 19th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Way freakin cool man!!! That looks awesome dude! :beer:

Just check the clearance on your ash pan to the air inlet, I made my pan a bit too tall & it covered the pipe a bit. I had to take a half circle piece out of the ash pan so it wouldn't block it. Can't see if yours will but it's something my 7yr old noticed on mine (a real DOH! Moment for me =)) )

Can't wait for the QView, I bet you can already taste it! :kewl:

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » September 20th, 2016, 4:31 am

Thanks Squiggle. Yep the pan misses the air intake. I had that exact thought prior to making it. I would have liked a deeper pan, but air intake pipe governed the height.

And oh yes I can already taste it. :needfood:

J0hn
beginner
beginner

Post by J0hn » September 26th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Another awesome looking smoker! Could it have two wheels fitted on each corner in order to share the weight?

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » September 26th, 2016, 10:50 pm

JOhn - I think the wheels will hold up. Worst case I'll swop out the pneumatics for solid wheels.

Doing a cook today... so some Q-pics hopefully tomorrow.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » September 27th, 2016, 3:39 am

Mmmmmmmmmm, can't wait!! :wsm: :beer:

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » September 27th, 2016, 9:21 pm

Finally some Q pics. My future son-in-law is a chef and he handled the whole thing. I merely offered occasional advice, critique and ultimately helped in the eating of the end result. We will be having another smoker party at the end of the month. This was to trial the thing with real food. Held the temp very well. Matthew seems to think the door thermometer is a tad out, but I have ordered a Maverick 733 (cheap bugger that I am) and we will see the variance hopefully this weekend so we know the difference between door thermometer and rack temp.
And without further ado, here is the evidence it did happen... :grillin:

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » September 27th, 2016, 9:52 pm

& now I'm hungry!! :beer:

Nice work dude, looks awesome. How did you find the time it took to get to temp?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » September 27th, 2016, 10:39 pm

:beer: :needfood:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » September 27th, 2016, 10:48 pm

Nice work dude, looks awesome. How did you find the time it took to get to temp?
It took about an hour to get up to speed. Once there we closed the ball valve about to a tad over half way. That seemed to keep the temp steady on the door thermo. But as mentioned we think that was out a bit. We ran it at around 80C to 100C on the door termo. It took around 11.5 hours before Matthew decided it was done and dusted.
Initially we had one brisket on the bottom rack, but that was way hotter than the top so we moved it up to the mid level.
We left the smoker running with the door closed and nothing inside and it maintained the temp at 80C and still running after 15 hours. Although by then the temp was angling downward but only by a little.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » September 28th, 2016, 4:30 am

Sweet looks like a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » September 28th, 2016, 4:37 am

Awesome dude, yeah mine ran for about that with 3/4 of a chute of charcoal. :kewl:

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » October 4th, 2016, 4:15 am

OK, the unit underwent "smoke trials" so to speak. Matthew my future son in law organised a smoker party for family and friends. Essentially to road test the smoker under normal working conditions. As this unit will go off to the restaurant where Matthew is the head chef we had to make sure it would make the cut. It did and brilliantly too. Never faltered even when we had a monsoonal deluge in the afternoon it just kept on going. These should be the last pics on this thread. I'm calling it finished.
Next project is a mini for family use.
And then.... when Frank releases the plans.... "The Mack". So Frank can I anticipate plans any time soon... soonish?

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » October 4th, 2016, 4:21 am

Awesome dude, glad everything went so well. I definitely know what you mean when you talk of Brissy deluge, dang! :kewl:

Return to “Smoker Clones”