Double Pan GF Build - and so it begins

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Double Pan GF Build - and so it begins

Post by ajfoxy » June 8th, 2016, 2:00 am

Well, after watching and lurking I have decided to start the build. Got the tubing for the frame, cut it to size on my dodgy as bandsaw. Purchased a 100 mm 90 degree vice for holding the tubes together correctly. Never had a lot of success with just the welding magnets, the heat distortion seems to just move them wherever. So now the little suckers are held tight. Well I certainly hope so anyway.
To start the picture parade (so I can testify it did happen) we have for your viewing pleasure...
1. Tubes cut and assembled in a pile.
2. Getting the suckers square and level
3. One side welded up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Re: Double Pan GF Build - and so it begins

Post by ajfoxy » June 8th, 2016, 2:22 am

Ongoing to the first post, the frame is slowly taking shape.
I should have not put the back strut in as I will have to cut it out to fit the chute and firebox etc. Nothing serious like a train smash... an angle grinder and slimmy disk will take care of that. Once I got the frame squared away I tacked the chute and firebox. Now that was a whole new adventure. I had to go out and purchase a new Mig welder. The small hobby welder I have had for 20 odd years just could not smoke the pipe. Well, not without struggling. Anyway, got it done with the new Unimig 200.
When I got to the transfer tube and had a scout around for some expanded metal I struggled to find someone who had it thick enough and did not want to sell me meters of the stuff. Anyway long story short.. used rod I had in the scrap pile to make a grid to stop the fire monster from escaping or whatever it is there for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » June 8th, 2016, 2:45 am

Awesome work dude, looks amazing & I was going to mention the tube that needs to be left out , but you covered that. :kewl:

Nice idea on the FB grate, where did you get that from, lol. =))

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » June 8th, 2016, 3:08 am

Nice idea on the FB grate, where did you get that from, lol.

Absolutely knocked it off from you ... I only nick good ideas. I have enough crappy ones of my own. :-)

Anyway, on with the show. After finishing the Chute and FB I sealed up the top and back and stacked a load of lump charcoal in it and let it burn. Mainly to make sure the welds don't spring in the heat or something frightful like that. Worked well and the 5kg of charcoal burnt for nearly 20 odd hours ... I was impressed.

Decided to put wheels on the frame to enable me to move it around. Also cut the inside cook chamber metal on the Plasma Table and bent it up on the Brake. That was taking the Brake to near its limits... without raping it though.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » June 8th, 2016, 4:50 am

Yeah my next move is to put it on wheels, mines gettin heavy. :kewl:

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » June 8th, 2016, 12:49 pm

OH yeah!!!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » June 8th, 2016, 10:46 pm

I want to bounce an idea off the collective brains trust... to see if it is OK.
Not sure about the States but here in Australia there seems to fewer and fewer metal suppliers willing to cut lengths.

I am struggling to get a small length of 5" pipe for the stack of the double pan gravity fed smoker I am building. The steel suppliers want to flog me a length. As I am probably only going to build one double pan this is not economically feasible.
I can get some half lengths but they are galvanised... no good to me.

The plans call for 5 9/16" OD pipe but would there by a major difficulty if I put two 3" smoke stacks on the thing? I am thinking both spaced equally offset from the centre of the cook chamber. I also think it might also have a "cool factor" to have double stacks.

My rationale is that I have the plans also to build a couple of mini's. And they call for 3" pipe. I have no problem purchasing a length of 3" if I am going to be using it down the line.

Cheers, and I hope the above makes sense. It did to me, but then everyone says I'm "special". :-)

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » June 9th, 2016, 4:32 am

No problem in a vertical. Even just a slot cut in the top or back would do.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » June 9th, 2016, 4:51 am

Sweet, thanks Pete. That will make it a tad easier. If I do stumble on a short lenght of 5" I'll revert to plan, else this is the way I'll go.

holyp
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by holyp » June 9th, 2016, 10:26 am

Good progress, and quality work. Cheers.
I wonder myself what the grate is for, running into issues getting expanded metal here as well.
Didn't consider the fire monster, I'd love to hear a better reason

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 9th, 2016, 7:55 pm

She's really coming together nicely :beer:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 10th, 2016, 7:37 am

You could make a square stack out of plate. That would also look cool and you can put a damper on it to seal her up.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » June 10th, 2016, 5:11 pm

Yes, I had thought about a square stack... as usual Murphey was just messing with me and I had a supplier contact me saying they had a 2 metre length of 5" black steel pipe. I have to purchase the whole 2 m but that is OK. I need some for the rocket stove charcoal retort I want to build down the road. So all good in the kingdom and the stars have aligned once again and the smoker build is back on plan... :-bd

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » June 10th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Awesome news dude, well done! :kewl:

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » June 19th, 2016, 12:03 am

The old "adage" measure twice cut once" came back to bite me... I measured the top plate of the cook chamber, cut it out on the plasma table and bent it up on the finger brake. And forgot to allow for the bend. And even my foulest bad language did not make it fit either... Bugger. So had to make a second one. Hate wasting material, but I think I can use that larger piece with the mini which will get built down the road. Just shorten it up a bit. Anyway a few pics on the cook chamber. I had to turn the whole thing on its head to weld it in as along with whole host of other things, overhead welding is not in my limited welding repetoire.
And whilst I had it with its backside in the air I slapped on a coat or two of high heat paint on the underneath.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » June 19th, 2016, 3:20 am

:LG: sweet looking rig dude, I've had a couple of "Doh!" moments but I've been lucky enough to be able to fill the gaps with welding tricks. :kewl:

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » July 10th, 2016, 1:52 am

Finally got a bit more time to continue the build. First pic is with internals installed. That is the chute, fb and transfer tube. Went in a lot easier than I had envisioned. Murphey must have been sleeping.
Second and third pics are of the outside skin. Keeping the insulation in place was a real problem. Eventually had to lean it over at 45 degrees against the welding table to have gravity helping as opposed to hindering. Anyway got it in place.
I welded 4mm plate into the top corners and drilled an tapped them to take an 12mm eye bolt. This thing is getting that heavy I think I will need the crane to get it into the ute to deliver it. They can also be used to tie it down when moving.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » July 10th, 2016, 3:32 am

:LG: :beer:

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » July 10th, 2016, 4:24 am

:yth:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 10th, 2016, 7:19 am

Oh yeah

Making memories.

Big T

Post by Big T » July 10th, 2016, 9:55 pm

:kewl:

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » August 24th, 2016, 2:21 am

Finally got some time over the weekend to do a bit more on the smoker. Did the daily grind... getting rid of all the crappy gorilla welds etc. Man I have really got to get better at welding so that I can cut dowon on grinding. Given up on the amount of flap disks I've gone through. Made the chute door and surround and the firbox door and surround. Welded them in place. And there the fun began. Due to the amount of heat input in welding the surrounds... even stitch welding and moving to the othere side... I got some serious distortion of the outer skin. :hissy:

Tried a bit of heat shrinking, but that did not get the whole job done. I'll have to consider my options. Current thought is cut a smart image of something or the other and have a "raised" image thing over the skin to hide the horrible distortion. Next smoker I think I'll put more cross members in where there is a large expanse of skin. Of course if I could weld worth a damn I'd probably not have this issue... but it is what it is... :headwall:

Big T

Post by Big T » August 24th, 2016, 9:02 pm

We all learn from our mistakes and most times we don't make them again. It's always nice whenever you build something and it looks factory but it's way more important that it works as it should. Don't get discouraged, it looks great from where I'm sitting.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 24th, 2016, 9:54 pm

Another idea, you fou fab up a square one from leftover plate. If plans call for 5 inch I.d pipe then you would need a square pipe with an inside distance of 5 inches across the flat sides. Your stack is pretty short on those so not much hassle and cheaper than a 20 foot section.

For the record, I can get any size pipe, tube, bar, angle or plate cut to whatever I need. It is more expensive that way so I always try to buy a length but it's nice to have the option. My last pipe was 25 inch in diameter....buying a 40 foot length of that would have sucked.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » August 26th, 2016, 2:09 am

Looking awesome dude! :kewl:

Don't worry, I had some warpage & it seems to be ok, just looks dodgy.

What gas are you using to weld with? I found that changing to a more appropriate gas for the job(argosheild universal) made a massive difference on the amount of grinding I had to do. :beer:

Return to “Smoker Clones”