double pan stumps clone wheel ???

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
raptorchris
beginner
beginner

double pan stumps clone wheel ???

Post by raptorchris » June 4th, 2015, 12:08 pm

I've just started my double pan stumps clone with plans from smokerbuiler. The plans call for 8" caster wheels. I was planni g to upgrade to foam filled 10"-12" 3.5"-4" wide casters thinking it would help it roll better, especially across the grass. After reading through the forums here, it seems like this thing is just too big and heavy to roll around. Has anyone found a set of wheels that work well on this 800lb beast?

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: double pan stumps clone wheel ???

Post by Rodcrafter » June 4th, 2015, 12:53 pm

You may want to ask Pit Doctor AKA SmokerTom he had pretty big tires on his and it rolled pretty good. But it wasn't just him pushing it like Puff.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » June 4th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Ha..ha,

RC knows I have mentioned trying to move this around at least 75 times. I used the 8" casters but I believe their "softness" contributes to the rolling resistance...foam filled no flat type. I assumed exactly what you have said, especially over grass and hard packed dirt roads. Now that it resides in a smooth floor garage, it still has PLENTY of rolling resistance. I've discussed with RC, building any kind of motorized assist to get it moved around but I lack the expertise to do so and I'm not spending a bunch o' money trying to buy one. Since it has so much cooking space and I have a big trailer mount smoker, I'm just waiting for the baby sized gravity feed design. Check my other GF posts...that Unit you're building performs magically. You WILL love it!

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

raptorchris
beginner
beginner

Post by raptorchris » June 5th, 2015, 8:37 am

I was thinking of either of these wheels

[url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006TQK3 ... 7HRZCBK8I/
[url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00P2QZ0 ... Z7XT2VI0B/

I know skinny wheels will dig into grass or dirt and not roll. I was planningon flat free, but after reading, I don't think that will work. Hopefully running higher pressure on pneumatic tires will help. I will have to move it at least twice a year from front to back yard, plus in and out of the garage during the winter. Need something.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » June 5th, 2015, 9:05 am

Other than the pneumatic part...Those are the wheels I have ...Marathon with the 4 x 4.5" plate. Also in looking up the order I placed with Amazon, mine ARE 10"
IF I were able to increase pressure, Id bet they would be much better off. Had I not paid $140.00, Id change em

This box should be living in my barn and rolled out to fire it up but due to the mobility issues, It takes up too much space in my oversized two car garage by default.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Return to “Smoker Clones”