Stumps clone skin thickness

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
jl170
beginner
beginner

Stumps clone skin thickness

Post by jl170 » April 21st, 2015, 8:07 pm

Hi all

In the process of designing a Stump's clone. Frame is 50mm / 2" SHS and overall dimension of 1093mm / 43" high by 853mm / 33" wide, and cooking chamber is designed around BBQ spare part grill at 400x485mm (15.7x18.9") and about 650mm (25.6") high.
stumps_clone_frame.PNG
Just wondering about the skin, and what thicknesses people are using. Considering anything from 1-2mm. Hmm, that'd be 1/8 to 3/16 or thereabouts for y'all.

Hopefully this being tube and sheet and nothing fancy like a barrel in a Texas smoker comes out a little more practical for fabrication handling and cost.

thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Czar
Founder
Founder
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: Stumps clone skin thickness

Post by The Czar » April 21st, 2015, 8:33 pm

We usually do what's known as 14 gauge thickness...not sure what the measurement thickness is...

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » April 21st, 2015, 9:39 pm

Mine is 14 but the inside wall that the crossover transfer tube terminates against is 12. Personally, I think that was too heavy but I had it. The outer skin temps measured with the heat gun rarely exceed 75 farenheit but it was winter and usually about 40-45 when I was using it. And that is 2" tube with rigid insulation

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » April 22nd, 2015, 5:03 am

Considering anything from 1-2mm. Hmm, that'd be 1/8 to 3/16 or thereabouts for y'all.
From what I see on the charts, 1mm = 19 gauge = .04" and 2mm = 14 gauge = .08". 1/8" is .125" and is 11 gauge.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

jl170
beginner
beginner

Post by jl170 » April 22nd, 2015, 6:36 pm

Thanks for the inputs, 2mm / 14 gauge sounds like it. Possibly will work with a thinner external depending on how much flex at the sizes we will be cutting and the weight saving.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » April 22nd, 2015, 8:30 pm

Good move. I have some very good quality and weight supporting wheels but they cannot support the weight of my smoker as well as I'd like it. It flat spots them. I did a few things a bit differently based on one of your countrymens advice and it was a good suggestion. Like a rainwater dam on the top fill door.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Return to “Smoker Clones”