Best way to insulate

Instructional posts about How to use the Forums. Feel free to ask questions here also.
draw1983
beginner
beginner

Best way to insulate

Postby draw1983 » June 9th, 2017, 10:05 pm

Best way to insulate a smoker? First time build.Image

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Best way to insulate

Postby mp4 » June 10th, 2017, 6:08 am

Rigid rock wool insulation panels like Roxul RHT80. It's good to 1,200 degrees and is readily available. You can get it at BBQ Smoker Supply
http://bbqsmokersupply.com/rock-wool-sm ... -oven.html or if you need different sizes at Zoro.com which is where I ordered mine through. I ordered one morning from them and it arrived the next day.

draw1983
beginner
beginner

Re: RE: Re: Best way to insulate

Postby draw1983 » June 10th, 2017, 8:50 am

mp4 wrote:Rigid rock wool insulation panels like Roxul RHT80. It's good to 1,200 degrees and is readily available. You can get it at BBQ Smoker Supply
http://bbqsmokersupply.com/rock-wool-sm ... -oven.html or if you need different sizes at Zoro.com which is where I ordered mine through. I ordered one morning from them and it arrived the next day.

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get this thing wrapped up.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Postby Squiggle » June 11th, 2017, 4:17 am

Looks awesome, should be a beast! :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Postby Rodcrafter » June 12th, 2017, 9:16 am

That's gonna be a dandy

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

draw1983
beginner
beginner

Re: RE: Best way to insulate

Postby draw1983 » June 13th, 2017, 12:06 pm

draw1983 wrote:Best way to insulate a smoker? First time build.Image

Doors are on!!! Moving forward!!!Image

Rodcrafter

Postby Rodcrafter » June 13th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Do you have a sketch of this design? i just don't understand what you're doing with the bottom half. Did you run the numbers through the pit calculator?

I'm not trying to throw water on your fire so to speak, just want to help if I see a problem coming up since it is your first build.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

draw1983
beginner
beginner

Postby draw1983 » June 13th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:Do you have a sketch of this design? i just don't understand what you're doing with the bottom half. Did you run the numbers through the pit calculator?

I'm not trying to throw water on your fire so to speak, just want to help if I see a problem coming up since it is your first build.

jm2cw

Trust me any help or advice is welcomed. The bottom is more of a skirt. I did run it in the pit calculator. And other than the fire box being a little bigger than called for everything is at least at the measurements the calculator gave..

draw1983
beginner
beginner

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Best way to insulate

Postby draw1983 » June 13th, 2017, 2:02 pm

draw1983 wrote:
Rodcrafter wrote:Do you have a sketch of this design? i just don't understand what you're doing with the bottom half. Did you run the numbers through the pit calculator?

jm2cw

Trust me any help or advice is welcomed. The bottom is more of a skirt. I did run it in the pit calculator. And other than the fire box being a little bigger than called for everything is at least at the measurements the calculator gave..

The back side of the fire box is closed up now with the opening to the calculators specs. The throat is about 20% larger then the opening off the fire box.

draw1983
beginner
beginner

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Best way to insulate

Postby draw1983 » June 13th, 2017, 2:03 pm

draw1983 wrote:
draw1983 wrote:

jm2cw

The back side of the fire box is closed up now with the opening to the calculators specs. The throat is about 20% larger then the opening off the fire box.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Postby ajfoxy » June 13th, 2017, 5:27 pm

This is definitely an intresting build. Can't wait for it to flesh out a bit so I can see how it all works.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

draw1983
beginner
beginner

Postby draw1983 » June 13th, 2017, 6:45 pm

ajfoxy wrote:This is definitely an intresting build. Can't wait for it to flesh out a bit so I can see how it all works.

Honestly I am ready to be done, however I think the end is only the beginning of more work!!

Big T
Expert
Expert
Title: Man on a mission
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Postby Big T » June 13th, 2017, 7:07 pm

That thing is a Monster!!
:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

draw1983
beginner
beginner

Postby draw1983 » June 13th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Big T wrote:That thing is a Monster!!
:LG:

Yes the specs on it were kind of a dream, then when it was all put together; well the thought was if I ever have to actually fill this thing it will be a beautiful day in my world..

Rodcrafter

Postby Rodcrafter » June 14th, 2017, 7:29 am

There are a couple things that have me concerned 1. The throat opening (fB to CC) opening looks like it is about 4" below the top of the FB top. That will result in the top of your FB getting much hotter than it needs to because of the turbulence in the draft. 2. The BP gap (the opening opposite of the FB end of the baffle plate) you said it is going to be bigger "The throat is about 20% larger then the opening off the fire box" than the throat. This will result in slowing the draft. 3. The space you have below the throat under the CC, appears to be 1/2 + the size of the CC. I have never seen this done but my thought on it is, this area will require a much larger fire to heat it then heat the CC with what ever is left. I would consider a plate under the throat opening going all the way across to the other end. Then the "skirt would really be just a skirt.

I hope this is taken in a good way, not beating you up about your build.

jm2cw

draw1983
beginner
beginner

Postby draw1983 » June 15th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:There are a couple things that have me concerned 1. The throat opening (fB to CC) opening looks like it is about 4" below the top of the FB top. That will result in the top of your FB getting much hotter than it needs to because of the turbulence in the draft. 2. The BP gap (the opening opposite of the FB end of the baffle plate) you said it is going to be bigger "The throat is about 20% larger then the opening off the fire box" than the throat. This will result in slowing the draft. 3. The space you have below the throat under the CC, appears to be 1/2 + the size of the CC. I have never seen this done but my thought on it is, this area will require a much larger fire to heat it then heat the CC with what ever is left. I would consider a plate under the throat opening going all the way across to the other end. Then the "skirt would really be just a skirt.

I hope this is taken in a good way, not beating you up about your build.

jm2cw

I appriciate the in put. However I spoke with a friend that is helping me and he has the baffle plate in already. The opening on the fire box however is going to be opened up higher. (closer to the top of the fire box) I am going to start a fire in it see how it pulls and if I have to (before any meat) will cut the skirt off the back and place the plate on it like you talked about.

Thank you for the help

Rodcrafter

Postby Rodcrafter » June 15th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Ok cool

Making memories!

temurf
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Murf's "Q" Train

Postby temurf » June 18th, 2017, 9:53 pm

You definitely will be able to put a whole lot of Q on that thing. :kewl:

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Return to “Forum How To's”