First time builder in the UK

Tell us a little about yourself!
Beavis69
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

First time builder in the UK

Post by Beavis69 » February 25th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Evening,

Glad I found this site. Some really good builds and information.

Finally ready to start my own build, but have a few questions I’d like help with.

Been using my WSM for a couple of years, and after reading Franklin’s book, have decided to build my own offset smoker.

Have sourced a 47kg gas cylinder for a cook chamber and a 19kg one for a firebox. (Took a while to get the big one..)

I have a few questions I’d like some assistance with. This will be my first metal work project, so would be good to ensure I get the airflow etc right at the start..

-I Used feldons calculator and this said my firebox was 25% too big. Should I reduce its size, or is this a tolerable difference? (Thinking of cutting the end of to make a door, so reducing the size shouldn’t be an issue)

-with regards intake on the firebox, is there a minimum and maximum size? I was thinking of a sliding vent like on some kamados

- not clear on the calculation for the size of the opening between the firebox and chamber, as it will be a half moon. Could you explain if possible?

- Baffled by the baffle. How do you calculate the size of this and is it fitted at 45’

Apart from these points, pretty confident, but could use some of your experience and advice.

Many thanks

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: First time builder in the UK

Post by Big T » February 25th, 2020, 8:27 pm

Welcome aboard!! I would cut the FB down to about 110% or so. We have several calculators on this site that can help you get all of the dimensions that you need, they're listed under smoker builder calculators at the top of the page. Your intakes can be bigger than recommended since you can close them down to what is needed. I'm not familiar with the half moon openings but if you run your numbers and post them then some of the other guys can help you out. As for the baffle, that would be for a reverse flow smoker, if your going with a traditional offset then you won't need a baffle. Some guys use tuning plates in their offset but I don't believe that Franklin does. Feel free to ask any questions and someone will try to help you out.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Beavis69

Post by Beavis69 » February 26th, 2020, 8:30 am

Hi.

Thanks for comments. Very helpful.

Size wise

My cook chamber is 147,000cm 3
Firebox will be 54,000cm3

Can you give me a steer with regards how big the hole needs to be once I join the firebox and cook chamber.

Also, Aaron mentions he fits a buffer plate above the opening, so as to direct the heat down.

Is there a formula for calculating the size of this?

Thanks

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » February 26th, 2020, 1:14 pm

I had to guess at dimensions, but figured your throat should be about 77 cm2. Not sure if I got the dimension correct though.
PitCalc.jpg
I used Pete's calculator found here - http://smokerbuilder.com/forums/app.php ... ther-calcs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beavis69

Post by Beavis69 » February 26th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Hi. Thanks for that.

Where can I find the calculation for the throat area?

Thanks

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » February 27th, 2020, 5:51 am

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » February 29th, 2020, 10:46 am

:yth: and feel free to ask any questions that you may have and we'll try to help you out.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”