Howdy from Gilbert Az

Tell us a little about yourself!
anozira
beginner
beginner

Howdy from Gilbert Az

Postby anozira » March 6th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Good afternoon all and thanks for allowing me into the group. I just completed my first smoker build. This forum would have been a great resourse for me had I looked for it sooner!

I was introduced to smoking 5 years ago when I purchased a used char grill smoker. Fell in love immediately! Although I have smoked some amazing stuff on it, I wanted a heavier version of it. I've wanted to smoke a brisket of epic standerds. However, with the limited heat retention of the char grill, I found it frustrating to have to tend my fire evry 35 minutes or so to keep the temp right. I almost always finished it in the oven because I can't stay awake (or sober) for 12-16 hours!!

I started building it in head back in september of last year. I work for a redi-mix supplier and at our main yard we have what we call the "boneyard" I visually picked out my pieces over several months and decided when it cooled down I would start my adventure. After looking at a couple of calculaters, I decided on a reverse flow. The cc is a 1/8' steel fuel tank from a refridgerated trailer 3' by 22". Fire box was qaurter in thick 16" x 24" air compressor tank. Misc parts and pieces came together and I could'nt be prouder! Best thing, It did'nt cost me anything but time, patience, and beer.

Did a couple of burn ins to season and learn how to regulate. Smoked my first ribs last Sunday. They turned out awesome! But, it seems like I am having an issue maintaining heat. I pretty much have to have a full fire burning to achieve 225.

I have read that reverse flows are notorious for consuming fuel. Any tricks or suggestions?

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Murf's "Q" Train

Re: Howdy from Gilbert Az

Postby temurf » March 6th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Welcome aboard.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Postby Big T » March 6th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Welcome aboard!! I've built a few RF's and they're pretty good on fuel consumption compared to a traditional offset. Your FB to CC ratio looks right on the money so that isn't an issue. How big is the throat, BP gap and stack ? What type of basket do you have in the FB ? Maybe if you could post some pictures of the build we could help you out.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Postby ajfoxy » March 7th, 2018, 1:30 am

Welcome aboard.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Postby Pete Mazz » March 7th, 2018, 5:20 am

Welcome

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

The Czar
Founder
Founder
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Postby The Czar » March 7th, 2018, 7:47 am

Welcome aboard !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Postby Rodcrafter » March 7th, 2018, 8:34 am

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Oh did I say Welcome to the crew!

Big T has you cornered, oh and so you know.

:noqview:

"No pics never happened" is pretty much the standard around here.

:rulz:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

anozira
beginner
beginner

Postby anozira » March 7th, 2018, 10:32 am

I will try and put up pictures today. If I can figure out how

Cole
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet, Family and Friends!

Postby Cole » March 7th, 2018, 11:53 am

Welcome, looking forward to the pictures!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet

Postby Dirtytires » March 7th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Welcome to the group....and nice to see someone local. I’m just a bit north of you.

You have come to the right place to get help dialing in your build as their is a lot of experience on the site.

anozira
beginner
beginner

Postby anozira » March 7th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Ok, here goes nothing!!

Some demensions and pictures.
cc 36" x22"
Fb 25" X 16"
fb to cc an elipse 8" x 5"
Stack is four inch x 21" long
Intake is also four inch
Diversion plate is 6" below cooking screen and is 6" from end of cc. Made from quarter inch aluminum diamond plate.

I tried to attach pictures.....what am I doing wrong?

Big T

Postby Big T » March 7th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Maybe this'll help you with the pictures viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1874 I'll try to check your numbers after while if someone else doesn't get a chance first but right off the top of my head, the throat seems way too small, BP gap too large and stack is little too short. I'm also not sure how well the aluminum will work for the BP since you want the BP to retain and radiate heat. Try to post a few pictures and that might help out as well.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Postby Dirtytires » March 7th, 2018, 9:23 pm

I don’t know how you guys copy the calculation sheet here....maybe some could help me out on that?

I ran the numbers. The air intake is a tad undersized. You need 15 sq inches of open space.

The chiminey is real close so I wouldn’t mess with that.

Throat is recommended at 40.2 inches. If yours is a true eclipse, it is undersized as an 8x5 square would be better.

I would focus on fixing the throat & gap as one is way undersized and the other is way oversized. That is most likely your biggest issue. I also agree with big t that steel is a much better material for the baffle plate but fix the other things first and you may find it’s ok.

Big T

Postby Big T » March 7th, 2018, 11:11 pm

When I see your dimensions I think diameter first and length second so that's the way that I pictured it in my head. If your CC diameter is 36'' and length is 22'', FB is 25'' diameter and 16'' in length then your numbers(throat, BP gap, stack) are pretty far off. However if the diameter and length are reversed (in my mind) then your numbers are pretty close other than the throat and BP gap.

Big T

Postby Big T » March 7th, 2018, 11:15 pm

Here’s both ways as you can see there’s a good bit of difference.Image Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anozira
beginner
beginner

Postby anozira » March 8th, 2018, 10:24 am

Big T and dirtytires

Thank you so much for your replies.
First of all, I did reverse the numbers. The second calculation is correct.
The calculator I used suggested somewhere around 29 square inches for my throat size. Which is why my elipse is 8 x 4.
So I guess I will need to make it bigger by your calcs.
I never saw a suggestion as to BP gap before. How did you figure that?
I only used the aluminum in the interest of weight and ease of clean up. There is plenty of plate laying around my plant.
Sounds like everything is easily remedied!
I, too saw that my intake was a shade on the small side. In my mind I was hoping to get away with it due to our climate in the desert.
I realized my picture sizes are too big to be uploaded. I will work on that.
In the meantime, I have been added to your Facebook group. I can be found under Erick Fowler. There are several pictures there.
Thanks again!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Postby Dirtytires » March 8th, 2018, 10:42 am

The intake may work for you just fine....I would fix that’s last unless it’s an easy fix. You are correct in that we don’t need as much fire to get to temp than many other parts of the country.

The dimensions are for the throat. In order for the reverse flow to work properly, the baffle plate gap needs to be the same. It can be just a bit smaller if needed but never any bigger.

anozira
beginner
beginner

Postby anozira » March 8th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Thanks Dirtytires,
Yes, seems like an easy fix. Just need to get it back in the garage and cut a larger opening. And by being that the bp is at the 19" across mark of the cc. It appears that my gap only needs to be 2" from the end! Yikes, thats small!! But I shall try it! Also, I strategicly placed and existing threaded port at the bottom of the firebox that measures 1 1/2" (tank was an air compressor) for means of removing ash. Thinking I can remove the plug and then regulate with my vent plate on top of the four inch intake while cooking??

anozira
beginner
beginner

Postby anozira » March 8th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Let's see if this works

smoker 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Big T

Postby Big T » March 8th, 2018, 8:13 pm

I agree with DT on the above changes. The intake will probably be fine, the only time mine are fully open is when it's getting up temp, after that it's just barely cracked open on most cooks.
:LG:

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Postby Dirtytires » March 8th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Nice build....

Why did you put a smokestack on the firebox?

anozira
beginner
beginner

Postby anozira » March 8th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Thank you BT and DT!

With the FB rounded end...it seemed the most logical.

Keep in mind I had nothing to go off of other than my imaginiation. I was unaware of this site a year ago!! LOL
The smokeer is now back in the garage and I will make the necessary modifications per your suggestions. I can't thank you all enough!! A few more pics.

vent.jpg

vent.jpg

smoker 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anozira
beginner
beginner

Postby anozira » March 8th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Me again,

Trying not to be a pain in the ass....but I want to throw this out there.
I have used a pan or two to of water to introduce moisture to the smoking process. (blame Man, Fire, Food on the cooking channel) The pans seem to collct grease and smoke after a couple of uses...to the point of throwing away...and a major pain in the ass to refill during a smoke.

So, once again, on my own I devised a plan.

I included a 4" pipe under the baffle plate, capped, with a 1/2" X 6" nipple protruding thru the exterior of the cc. The pipe has 5 1/4" holes drilled into the top dead center over the length. I can add water from the outside without disturbing the door, cooking area or BP.

Genius or idiot??

Big T

Postby Big T » March 8th, 2018, 9:41 pm

I personally don't use a water pan anymore because I don't feel that it's necessary. You should start a new thread in the RF build section and post everything in there so that others can find it while searching the forum. Also, don't hesitate to ask a question if you can't find an answer and someone will be happy to help you out.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Postby Dirtytires » March 9th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Two things....

1- I do t use a water pan. Don’t feel it helps any and it is a real pain. It just cools down your cook chamber and the water never reaches high enough temp to evaporate and do any good.

2- just a thought, but I wonder if you are not getting a good fire due to your high air intake. I suspect that the heat of the firebox is using the air intake as a chimney and trying to push heat out and thus blocking air to feed the fire. This would cause it to fight with itself for aflow either out the in-take or the cookbox and not allow fresh air into the firebox. The normal recommendation is to put the intake at the base of the fire but yours is about a foot high. The idea of a chiminey is to draw air thru a pressure difference but in this case, you don’t want to. Just an observation.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”