Long burns

maccas66
Expert
Expert
Title: Aussourian Plumber
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Long burns

Post by maccas66 » April 5th, 2012, 9:01 pm

This may be a dumb question!........but how do you get a burn for 16+ Hrs? :-s , is it best to use wood or are charcoal lumpd or even brickettes a better option :help: :grillin:

" I`m so hungry, I`m farting fresh air!"

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Long burns

Post by Gizmo » April 5th, 2012, 9:09 pm

In all the experimenting I've done, there is only one way to get a truly long burn and that is with charcoal briquettes.
Edna just went 17 hours on a 16 pound bag of Kingsford bluebag briquettes last weekend - and had about 2 pounds left over.
I drove it with a guru but I can tell you how to do it old school if you like.... :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

maccas66
Expert
Expert

Post by maccas66 » April 5th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Rick wrote:In all the experimenting I've done, there is only one way to get a truly long burn and that is with charcoal briquettes.
Edna just went 17 hours on a 16 pound bag of Kingsford bluebag briquettes last weekend - and had about 2 pounds left over.
I drove it with a guru but I can tell you how to do it old school if you like.... :)

:ymdaydream: Please do!

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » April 5th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Okay - I just went back and studied your pics of the build and I think you got a perty good shot at it.
Obviously a long burn isn't worth much if it's at the wrong temp so my suggestion includes both.

Make sure EVERYTHING is sealed up. You can't let the fire get any air unless you want it to.
You have an excellent design draft door since it's screw-driven. You will discover that only part of a turn on the handle will make a difference.
Judging by the shape of your firebox you will want a simple expanded steel basket to set inside it.
Pick a day with only a slight breeze if at all possible - around here that usually means after dark.
Fill the basket with briquettes to the top then pull prolly about 50 to start with off the top and put into a charcoal chimney and light them.
When they're all turning white pour them back on top of the basket of coals - into the firebox and close the door and shut the draft completely. You'll need a good temp gauge hooked up in the cook chamber - recommend a maverick - and watch what the temp does.

If you're sealed up good then you will see it start to slowly build heat and then the temp should slowly start to fall - this could take a while. This is good news.

If it rises and stabilizes then you have a leak. Find it and close it.

Open your draft to a little less than a square inch of area - I'm guessing from your pics that a 1/8 inch gap would be a decent place to start. Do not open the doors while you are doing this because you are determining a base line temp that the rig wants to run at.

You will probably find that if you open your draft a full turn and wait a few minutes it will stabilize at a higher temp.
At this point you are only letting the charcoal burn at a rate that supports your selected temp and let it go to see how long your basket will go.
Having a 2nd basket mostly full of charcoal that you can dump into as you are cooking will double your burn without doing much to hurt the cook.
Hope this helps ...:)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » April 6th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Excellent info Rick!
Course when burning with wood the only way to get that long of a burn is to keep putting wood/ charcoal on the fire every 30-45 minutes....

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » April 6th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Sticky.... :kewl:

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

maccas66
Expert
Expert

Post by maccas66 » April 6th, 2012, 5:58 pm

:kewl: sticky for sure!!!,............ Thanks heaps Rick! :beer: , I`ll give it a go today, just need to make a basket tho!...thanks again Rick!

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » April 6th, 2012, 6:48 pm

You're absolutely right Frank - that's why I always start with just briquettes (and wood chips) until I know the "nature of the beast" - as we all know, every smoker is different...

And Mac - after thinking about it, you might be able to use what you got and build the basket later if you think you need to - can't recall just exactly what your set-up was inside the firebox for holding fuel... :)

maccas66
Expert
Expert

Post by maccas66 » April 7th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Rick, I have a grate made of 20mm reo bar, and the spacing seems to be a bit large for briquettes, it does hold them for awhile !, but they end up falling through.......I started on the basket yesterday and the diamentions for that are 300mm X 300mm x 200mm deep or, 12" x 12" x 8" deep, the FB is 15" x 15" x 15'.
I also did a bit of a burn / seasoning yesterday as well, with it running at 350f I closed the air intake and after a shortish while, the temp started to fall :D

What do you think about the size of my basket?, and how much space should I leave below it?

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » April 7th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Great news on the temp falling...!

An inch (25 mm?) below the floor of the basket to the top of your ash pan should be enough.

Based only on last weekends burn on Edna and using a straight proportion if your 1/8 inch (3-4 mm) gap on the draft yields a burn in the mid 200's degrees (F) you should get around 12 hours with about the same leftover margin (unburnt briquettes) - that's enough time to cook most brisket or PB I've ever brought home... Sounds Good! - Can't wait to hear the results... :)

elites-uk
banned :(
banned :(
Title: Spammer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Banning

Post by elites-uk » September 13th, 2012, 5:02 am

I am a suck and spammer and have been hammered!!

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » September 13th, 2012, 6:54 am

:spam: somebody wake up the czar ... we got a leak somewhere

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Return to “General Discussion”