Cost per pound?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Cost per pound?

Post by Dirtytires » May 17th, 2018, 4:02 pm

I find myself doing a small graduation party for a friend. We hashed out the details over a beer or two. I do cooks for friends and coworkers but I'm not in it for the money...I just love to smoke and this gives me an excuse.

I do all the shopping, planning and cooking. I have gathered all the equipment to cook for and serve a large group...big pans, serving stations and such. In the past, I just add up the main purchases for meat and sides and get reimbursed. But how do you put a price on the half cup of sugar, the tablespoon of salt, the cup of whatever from my kitchen?

So, this leads to my question of whether anyone has taken the time to add up the cost of cooking a pound of pulled pork or pulled chicken?

I paid $1 a pound for 22 lbs of chicken. I put on my rub and used my wood (I'm in AZ--firewood is expensive here) and after cleaning/shredding it got a final yield of 10 pounds. Do I give the guy the whole 10 pounds (cause he paid for the meat) or do I keep a percentage of the meat to compensate for the rub/wood expense. (I'm estimating he will need 6 pounds of chicken for his event...and I'm doing pork as well). Again, I'm not trying to make money....I just don't want to keep spending money out of my pocket every time I do an event. I really don't know what is acceptable or fair.

Did I over complicate things?

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Cost per pound?

Post by Rodcrafter » May 17th, 2018, 4:50 pm

I think it is a great question for anyone doing what you are. I went through the same thing for a while. But now I have a pretty simple process as long as meat doesn’t jump in price I just sell the product in half pans. A 8-10# butt fills a half pan with pulled pork and I get $60.00 for 1. I get $100.00 for a half pan of sliced brisket (just off the smoker). Beans are $30.00 and corn the same. I get $20.00 for a 12” skillet of cornbread based on the helper also being paid hourly on site to make cornbread over and over.

You can check with the best BBQ smoke house near you and you can get a fair amount and still beat their prices. You probably make better Q too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » May 17th, 2018, 4:57 pm

I'd say it's a bit like any business, you have to break down all components into "cost of sale".
Easiest I suppose is to create a spreadsheet with;
Cost of x amount of meat required for event.
cost of x wood/charcoal to cook said x amount of meat.
Cost of x amount of rub ingredients for x amount of meat.
Ancilliary costs of wrap materials (butcher paper etc)
Cost of your time to cook x amount of meat. Here it gets a bit fuzzy as you don't actually do it for a business, but your time still has a value.

Once you have done it once and it is recoreded you should be good to go for a close ballpark figure for the next event etc. It might change down the road as the cost of ingredients push up the "cost of sale" amount.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine

Post by McBroom » May 17th, 2018, 6:57 pm

ajfoxy wrote:I'd say it's a bit like any business, you have to break down all components into "cost of sale".
Easiest I suppose is to create a spreadsheet with;
Cost of x amount of meat required for event.
cost of x wood/charcoal to cook said x amount of meat.
Cost of x amount of rub ingredients for x amount of meat.
Ancilliary costs of wrap materials (butcher paper etc)
Cost of your time to cook x amount of meat. Here it gets a bit fuzzy as you don't actually do it for a business, but your time still has a value.

Once you have done it once and it is recoreded you should be good to go for a close ballpark figure for the next event etc. It might change down the road as the cost of ingredients push up the "cost of sale" amount.
Awesome info. Thank you ajfoxy

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » May 18th, 2018, 2:08 am

Thanks guys...appreciate the info.

After some thought, i think my biggest problem is that always feel like i have to show reciepts for everything in order to justify my charge. That leads me to not being paid for all the silly little things i use out of the kitchen.

I still dont need to pull a profit but i want reimbursed for expenses. Without using a reciept to justify expenses i can add in all those little things. Dont know why i didnt think of that before. Guess i just needed to hear a real world number of what food was going for to get me thinking.

Thanks again guys. I feel i can easily justify my costs, and now that im no longer loosing money, maybe ill do it more often.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » May 18th, 2018, 3:39 am

I used to fix cars on the side for friends...and when I did I had more "friends". I had a similar dilemma - guilt for actually charging for the work I did. They usually knew how much the job was going to cost...we would deduct the price of the parts from that cost and then I would get half of the remainder. It worked out well for both parties. I felt good because I helped someone out and they felt good because they saved some cash. Something similar might work for you too...

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine

Post by McBroom » May 18th, 2018, 7:14 am

Dirtytires wrote:I find myself doing a small graduation party for a friend. We hashed out the details over a beer or two. I do cooks for friends and coworkers but I'm not in it for the money...I just love to smoke and this gives me an excuse.

I do all the shopping, planning and cooking. I have gathered all the equipment to cook for and serve a large group...big pans, serving stations and such. In the past, I just add up the main purchases for meat and sides and get reimbursed. But how do you put a price on the half cup of sugar, the tablespoon of salt, the cup of whatever from my kitchen?

So, this leads to my question of whether anyone has taken the time to add up the cost of cooking a pound of pulled pork or pulled chicken?

I paid $1 a pound for 22 lbs of chicken. I put on my rub and used my wood (I'm in AZ--firewood is expensive here) and after cleaning/shredding it got a final yield of 10 pounds. Do I give the guy the whole 10 pounds (cause he paid for the meat) or do I keep a percentage of the meat to compensate for the rub/wood expense. (I'm estimating he will need 6 pounds of chicken for his event...and I'm doing pork as well). Again, I'm not trying to make money....I just don't want to keep spending money out of my pocket every time I do an event. I really don't know what is acceptable or fair.

Did I over complicate things?
Awesome question. I’ve been wandering the same thing for a long time now

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » May 20th, 2018, 11:48 pm

Great advice....thanks to all.

The event was Saturday. It was the typical...he told me to plan for 30-35 and I served over 50. I always figure that in tho so all was good and everyone had seconds that wanted. Compliments all around for the quality and presentation and the host was delighted. Toward the end of the evening he asked what the bill was. I had everything tallied up and gave him the number and he never even blinked. Don’t know why I was so worried about receipts.

As a little side note, I not only got a request to cook for another event for one of the guests but 2 others want me to build RV gates for them. Funny....I’m not a cook or a welder.

I might actually do the gates...lol

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » May 21st, 2018, 2:57 am

Well you must be doing something right for the additional requests and the compliments for the tucker. :kewl:

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » May 21st, 2018, 5:44 pm

Good job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 21st, 2018, 8:47 pm

That awesome DT :beer:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “General Discussion”