Bacon

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
warrenm

Bacon

Post by warrenm » December 17th, 2019, 9:00 pm

I've recently cured & smoked a 2.7lb pork belly, using 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup sea salt, 3/4 cup maple syrup. This was rubbed into the belly, then placed into a zip lock bag, in the fridge & turned daily for 7 days. Washed & let set in the fridge, then smoked at 200°F for about 2 hours. While the flavour is good it's still a bit salty. Did I miss something with process?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Baconr

Post by Dirtytires » December 18th, 2019, 11:03 am

It appears that you simply put it in a brine...and a pretty strong one at that. The brine simply helps the meat retain moisture (and flavors it somewhat) so you ended up with a salty piece of smoked pork belly. You did not make bacon.

You will need salt (in addition to the cure) but you are a bit heavy. I did a 9.2 pound pork belly this weekend and only used 4.5 tablespoons of kosher salt. (Which is different from table or sea salt). In addition, my formula called for 12.3 grams of cure salt (I use DC Powder).

The key ingredient in making bacon is the actual curing salt such as “DC curing salt” or “Prague powder #1”. Some call it pink salt but it is NOT the same as Himalayan salt. Most of the time you will need to get it from a local butcher or order it on-line. One thing to remember is that the cure needs to be measured carefully and the amount used needs to be properly calculated.

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Bacon

Post by McBroom » December 18th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Sounds like a great piece of pork for a pot of pinto beans. I'd cut it into meaty pieces and put in the pot. Yum yum

Claud

warrenm

Post by warrenm » December 18th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Thanks for the feed back. As soon as I put the weight above, I thought that I was a bit heavy handed.
From the info I find, it say's that Kosher Salt & Course Sea Salt(not iodised) are the same thing.
Do you use the belly with skin on or skin off?
Is there any way of removing the salt, as I have already sliced it up?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » December 19th, 2019, 11:02 am

I find that kosher salt is a much “fluffier” flake so less salt is actually on a measuring spoon because it won’t pack a tightly. So a teaspoon of sea salt actually has more NaCl than a teaspoon of kosher salt. One way around this is to weigh your salt as they are equal by weight—-not by volume.

Sea salt has trace minerals and other impurities that can possibly affect the meat in ways I don’t want them to. Therefore, I never use sea salt while cooking but reserve it for the table.

And unfortunately, I don’t think you could pull the salt back out. A quick water rinse right out of a brine or cure will help avoid leftover surface salt but once it’s in the meat it’s too late.

I get my whole pork bellies with the skin already trimmed. Most run in the 9 to 9.5 pound range.

All is not lost tho, dice it and add to a pot of beans, some mac&cheese, a green bean casserole or possibly even mashed potatoes. Just remember to cut down any added salt in the recipe and it will balance out fairly well.

warrenm

Post by warrenm » December 19th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Ok, thanks. Kosher salt isn't available in all supermarkets here in Australia, but can be purchased online, so I'll get some for the next batch.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » December 19th, 2019, 11:53 pm

Nothing wrong with sea salt but you need to adjust the recipe for it.

More importantly is you need to use a cure salt like “Prague powder #1.”

If you want, Send me a PM next time with the trimmed/skinless weight of your belly and it’s max thickness and I’ll work up a recipe and soak time for you. Bacon is a heck of a lot of fun to make but a real bummer when it doesn’t turn out.

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by McBroom » December 20th, 2019, 11:56 am

@Dirtytires is the man!! A real help for all areas of bbq

Claud

warrenm

Post by warrenm » December 21st, 2019, 4:18 am

Dirtytires wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 11:53 pm
Nothing wrong with sea salt but you need to adjust the recipe for it.

More importantly is you need to use a cure salt like “Prague powder #1.”

If you want, Send me a PM next time with the trimmed/skinless weight of your belly and it’s max thickness and I’ll work up a recipe and soak time for you. Bacon is a heck of a lot of fun to make but a real bummer when it doesn’t turn out.
Thanks mate. I might take up your offer. :kewl:

Return to “FOOD!”