Smoker is full

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
towtruck
Expert
Expert

Smoker is full

Post by towtruck » August 21st, 2019, 2:16 pm

Today I'm smoking a little pig candy and some whole chicken wings. Two hours should get that bacon done and then the wings and a whole cut up chicken will go on the BBQ to firm up the wings and get the rest cooked.

I only did half a pound of bacon this time as that is all the room I had left over as I have lots of chicken in the smoker. I'll get some pics when it's all done.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Smoker is full

Post by towtruck » August 21st, 2019, 5:01 pm

All done.....the wings were smoked then finished on the BBQ, the thighs and legs we done on the BBQ alone. The pig candy came out good but I let the smoker get a tad too hot and overdid a couple pieces...the wife says those will go well on a salad.....Not bad for just using one half of the smoker.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 21st, 2019, 8:37 pm

:beer: :needfood:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » August 21st, 2019, 8:48 pm

Nice

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 22nd, 2019, 10:59 am

Dang....now I got a craving for smoked chicken wings.....

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » August 22nd, 2019, 11:17 am

Dirtytires wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 10:59 am
Dang....now I got a craving for smoked chicken wings.....
I will have to say I may be cooking all my chicken that way for a while as it really came out tasty. My normal BBQ chicken is usually enough to get everyone to the table quick and I have people that swear it's the best they have ever eaten......but this smoked then bbq'd thing is really taking it to the next level.

My dad taught me the trick to bbq'ing chicken. Medium to low heat, salt and pepper the pieces and place on the grill, turn them over every five minutes.....that step is the key as it lets the escaping moisture travel back and forth through the meat. I like to cook at a temp that the meat on the legs starts to pull back and the larger cuts start to split open around 35 minutes into the cook, once that happens I sauce each side and finish at 45 minutes. That is ideal for me.

Yesterdays run was to toss the meat(salt and peppered with Cajun rub) on the smoker as it came up to temp.....admittedly it got hot pretty fast as the outside temps were already 100. I let the smoker build temp until 255 and then backed it down to 250 and pulled the meat at 2 hours time. Then onto the bbq to crisp them up and let the sauce set. 5 minutes per side over the coals and then 30 min or so off to the side in about 250* temps.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 23rd, 2019, 10:19 am

Thanks for sharing....

Boston
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools